Air Evac Lifeteam pilots are training in a Level 7 Flight Training Device. The
FTD, manufactured by Frasca International, was recently certified by the Federal Aviation Administration, and is used to train newly hired pilots and pilots throughout the Air Evac Lifeteam system who return to O’Fallon, Mo., each year for recurrent training.
Tim Jenkins, Air Evac Lifeteam chief pilot, said the Level 7 certification means the FTD may be used to augment training and will be used in conjunction with flight training conducted in the Bell 206 LongRanger at the company’s training facility in Chesterfield, Mo.
“Air Evac has more than 125 air medical bases across 15 states, and we employ more than 500 pilots,” Jenkins said. “This new FTD is equipped with the latest technology, and provides our pilots with a more realistic flying experience.”
The Level 7 FTD includes the Garmin G500H Glass Cockpit, autopilot, and Frasca’s high-fidelity Night Vision Goggles (NVG) simulation for the ultimate realism and accuracy in NVG training. Perhaps the most realistic feature of the flight simulator is TruCue, the newly developed simulator cueing and vibration system which provides critical vestibular feedback to the pilots. This system makes the FTD fly more realistically and allows the pilot to naturally react to flight
motion cues while training.
Aaron Wolfe, pilot for the Logan, West Va., Air Evac Lifeteam base, recently completed recurrent training in the new FTD.
“I thought it was great!” Wolfe said. “As far as the flying goes, it flies the same as the aircraft. The visualizations are realistic, even down to the wavy grass when you’re landing in a field. As far as the movement goes, it was so realistic that when we stopped in mid-air we expected to be thrown forward into our shoulder harnesses.”
About Air Evac Lifeteam
Air Evac Lifeteam, headquartered in O’Fallon, Mo., is the largest independently owned and operated air medical service provider in the United States, with more than 125 air medical bases across 15 states. Air Evac is the leading provider of helicopter emergency medical services to communities in need of rapid medical transport to advanced emergency healthcare.
Flight crews, consisting of a pilot, flight nurse and flight paramedic, are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week to respond to the scene of an emergency, or provide transportation between medical facilities. For more information, please visit Lifeteam.net or like us on Facebook
- Eagle Australasia appointed Garmin Authorised Dealer
- CopterSafety upgrades AW139 simulator with Phase 7 avionics
- Australian Army extends contract with Rockwell Collins
- First Female Pilot for Colombian Army
- CHC announce keynote speaker for Safety & Quality Summit
- Bell and Safran Announce Shared Vision for On-Demand Mobility
- Mi-171A2 is Planned to be Certified in India
- Rampart Helicopter Services aims to correct Colorado zoning violation
- Helipad Ceremony for Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Foundation
- Oceania Aviation appointed distributor for H125 maximum view kit
- Air Ambulance Chief Executive receives top honour
- WomenVenture Begins its Second Decade
- HAI expresses concerns about Ligado proposal
- South Carolina NG to help secure Mexican border
- Donaldson to develop AW169 IBF for Leonardo
- ASESA Selects Able as Exclusive Provider
- Meron Awarded Patent for Helicopter Transmission Test Rigs
- Macro Industries awarded $20M contract for V-22 single floor spares
- Hong Kong Government Flying Service receive first H175s
- PHI Announces Offering of Senior Secured Notes Due 2023