Magellan Aerospace (“Magellan”) announced today that a Wire Strike Protection System™ (WSPS™) will soon be available for the Robinson R66 helicopter platform with the anticipated issuance of a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) in the first quarter of 2016.
The WSPS™ is designed to provide a measure of protection for helicopters in level flight in the event of an encounter with horizontally strung wires and cables, using the concept of guiding wires over the fuselage into high tensile steel cutting blades. The basic WSPS™ system is comprised of an upper cutter, lower cutter, and a windshield deflector.
The R66 WSPS™ kit is expected to be available for new R66 helicopters commencing in the fall of 2016. Internal provisions for the R66 WSPS™ platform will be available as an option from Robinson on new helicopters and will allow for easy installation of the exterior kit. A comprehensive aftermarket kit, including the internal provisions, will be available to retrofit older R66 helicopters from Magellan Aerospace’s authorized distributors (http://magellan.aero/product/wsps).
- 20-May-17 N778TL Robinson R66 Canon City, US-Colorado
- DART Aerospace first to release R66 basket
- Rolls-Royce expands RR300 engine support for Robinson R66 helicopters
- FAA approves Donaldson IBF for R66
- FAA Issues Shadin Avionics STC for Robinson R66 Fuel Flow Managements
- First Robinson R66 arrives in Thailand
- Robinson delivers 12,000th helicopter
- Robinson’s R66 Turbine Marine Receives EASA Approval
- New Zealand puts Robinson helicopters on safety Watchlist
- Duties Lifted For Light Helicopters in Eurasian Economic Union
- New Garmin transponders approved for Robinson range
- Valair sells tenth R66 into Swiss market
- FAA approves Garmin Mode S transponders in R22, R44 and R66
- Brazil approves Onboard Systems R66 Cargo Hook
- FAA approves R66 aux tank
- Guidance Aviation successfully using R66 for charter and lifting
- Court dismisses Quantum Leasing R66 case against Robinson
- Robinson production 5% up in 2015 over 2014
- All Metal MS launches Robinson maintenance stand
- UK – Aeromega adds R66 to fleet