AVX Aircraft Company announced today that it is part of a team with Northrop Grumman Corporation that the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has selected to complete Phase 3 of Tern, a joint program between DARPA and the U.S. Navy’s Office of Naval Research (ONR). AVX will be responsible for the final design, fabrication and test support of the transmission and propulsion systems for a planned full-scale technology demonstrator of the Tern unmanned system.
“We are extremely proud to be a part of the Northrop Grumman team for Tern,” said Troy Gaffey, CEO and Chief Engineer for AVX Aircraft Company. “The extensive experience AVX has in designing propulsion systems is a tremendous fit for this program. As designed, the Tern technology demonstrator would be an exciting and unique aircraft that would be very versatile in terms of range, speed, payload and altitude, making it potentially attractive for a wide range of missions.”
Tern seeks to develop an autonomous, unmanned, long-range, global, persistent intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance (ISR) and strike system intended to safely and dependably deploy and recover from small-deck naval vessels with minimal ship modifications. Designed to operate in harsh maritime environments, Tern aims to enable greater mission capability and flexibility for surface combat vessels without the need for establishing fixed land bases or requiring scarce aircraft carrier resources.
About AVX: Founded in 2005, and headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas, AVX Aircraft Company employs helicopter industry veterans and executives with a combined experience of over 400 years across a spectrum of skill sets. AVX has developed and has patented a unique compound helicopter configuration with coaxial rotors and dual ducted fans that combine proven technologies to achieve greater aerodynamic efficiency, speed, range, fuel efficiency, HOGE and utility than conventional helicopters.
- Pawan Hans and State of Arunachal Pradesh to Pay Compensation
- AOC for Genesis Global Aviation
- Bolloré Logistics Showcases its Helicopter Expertise at the Heli-Expo 2017
- Bristow Forms New SAR Consortium for the Gulf of Mexico
- Malaysian Navy and Airbus celebrate excellence in fleet availability
- Indonesia remains a key contributor to Airbus Helicopters’ global supply chain
- EHang Partners with Dubai RTA to Boost Smart Transport
- Leonardo attends Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace in Malaysia
- Norway Sends out Audit on Repsol after North Sea Incident
- Helicopter Maintenance Centre between Russia and Serbia
- Fatal Indiana Crash Under Investigation
- Russian Helicopters introduce after-sales service concept for Russian rotorcraft in India
- Boston MedFlight Completes FAA Part 135 Certificate Licensure
- New Helicopter Aircrew Training System at HMAS Albatross
- Southeast Aerospace receives the FAA’s Gold Award of Excellence
- Bell Helicopter Confirms Platinum Sponsorship for BIDEC 2017
- Vector Aerospace employee named UK’s Technician of the Year
- Air Methods and FlightSafety announce new training facility in Colorado
- Canada Introduces Recreational Drone Rules
- Seacoast Helicopters Gets Green Light on Hangar Lease