The Villegas family, represented by Philip Layfield of Layfield & Barrett and V. James (Jim) DeSimone of V. James DeSimone Law, filed a lawsuit in the Superior Court of California, San Bernardino County. The lawsuit was filed under the case name: Villegas v. San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department et al with the case number CIVDS1606504, for injuries sustained by the family, allegedly resulting from the San Bernardino County Sheriff sniper helicopter shooting on Interstate 215.
According to court documents, on September 18, 2015, an individual evaded a traffic stop after running a stop sign and led law enforcement on a high speed chase. He entered the Interstate 215 off ramp and proceeded the wrong way at speeds approaching 100 mph. The court documents also go on to state that the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department followed the vehicle in a helicopter piloted by Deputy Sheriff Ryan Conner, Deputy Sheriff Paul Kowalski fired at least nine shots at the vehicle from a helicopter killing the individual. Consequently, his vehicle slammed into the Villegas family’s Dodge Durango.
Per the court documents, as an alleged result of this police shooting the Villegas family has incurred millions of dollars in medical expenses. Their young son is no longer able to walk or get out of bed without assistance as stated in the court documents.
About Layfield & Barrett:
Layfield & Barrett (L&B) is one of America’s premier plaintiff only law firms. With personal injury attorneys dedicated solely to plaintiff litigation and offices nationwide, L&B’s California personal injury lawyers handle catastrophic injury cases, wrongful death, medical malpractice, civil rights, construction defect and mass torts.
About V. James DeSimone:
V. James DeSimone (“Jim”) is Managing Partner of V. James DeSimone Law, a California law firm dedicated to representing individuals in civil rights cases with emphasis on employment discrimination and harassment, employment wage and hour class action cases, and police misconduct and brutality cases.
- R66 now has lithium-ion battery option
- Kaman Signs Multi-Year Contract with Sikorsky
- ForeFlight Introduces New Dual-Band ADS-B Receiver
- CHC Group Announces New Board of Managers
- Canada certifies airbus H145
- Horizon signs training agreement with Saudi Bell dealer
- Moscow Zhukovsky Airport adds helicopter facility
- Babcock and RACQ CQ Rescue renew contract
- Erickson achieves 100% effectiveness in Chilean firefighting
- Astronics Max-Viz Systems collaborating with FAA for a research study
- Air BP appoints Chief Commercial Officer
- HAI opens nominations for Salute to Excellence for Heli-Expo 2018
- Two UK police forces join to form operational drone unit
- Boeing awarded $27M contract for Preparation of Block 2 MH-47G
- Airbus awarded $35M contract for support of the UH-72 Lakota
- Bird’s Eye View Helicopters Launches NE & NY Charter Services
- More than 103 WAI Scholarships Now Ready for Applications
- CSAGA chooses Ramco
- HRH The Princess Royal Visits Bristow
- HeliOffshore collaborates on EC225 safety case