L-3 Communications (NYSE:LLL) announced today that its WESCAM division has received an order from the Finnish Border Guard to provide MX™-15 electro-optical and infrared (EO/IR) imaging systems for installation on a number of Airbus H215 twin-engine helicopters. The newly equipped H215s will support a variety of missions across Finland, including maritime border patrol and search and rescue (SAR). System deliveries to Airbus for installation will be completed by June 2017.
L-3’s imaging and targeting systems range in size from 8 inches to 25 inches in diameter and provide high-resolution, stabilized full-motion intelligence in support of low-level tactical to high-altitude, ultra long-range persistent missions. L-3’s MX™-8, MX™-10 and MX™-25 surveillance systems will be on display and available for demonstration at the Farnborough International Airshow in the pavilion next to the L-3 Chalet – A15.
“The selection of L-3’s MX technology for the H215 platform further strengthens our standing relationship with the Finnish Border Guard,” said Paul Jennison, vice president of sales and business development for L-3 WESCAM. “This latest order illustrates how our high-magnification imaging technology has become a useful asset for the Border Guard and its time-critical surveillance missions.”
“L-3 WESCAM’s equipment for airborne, land- and marine-based platforms is increasingly sought after by public safety organizations to assist in border patrol, rescues, and other emergency and natural disaster events around the world,” added Steve Kantor, president of L-3’s Electronic Systems business segment. “We are focused on the international expansion of L-3 WESCAM’s product lines and are well-positioned to provide outstanding customer support through our global authorized service centers, training facilities and on-site field support capabilities.”
The MX-15’s powerful imaging capabilities will provide the Border Guard with a faster, more powerful means to conduct successful searches under various lighting conditions, in addition to haze, fog and other visual deterrents. Each MX-15 is configured with a high-definition (HD) thermal imager, an HD color low-light imager, a dual-channel spotter and a wide-angle laser illuminator. Additionally, systems will include a series of performance-enhancing technologies, including an auto-tracker, image blending, MX-GEO, and interfaces to both a moving map and slaved searchlight.
The Finnish Border Guard order also includes licenses for L-3 WESCAM’s Operation and Organizational maintenance and eLearning courses. Designed to teach the detailed operation and maintenance skills required to maximize system performance, both courses cover theory, operations and maintenance topics in an interactive, scenario-based format.
- Airbus responds to Norwegian EC225 investigation update
- EASA responds to Norwegian EC225 investigation update
- Norwegian Investigators issue another Preliminary Report on EC225 accident
- Héli-Union Opens a New Branch in Pau, France
- Heli-One Meets Super Puma Exchange Demand
- Concorde Battery approved for AS332
- Vector Aerospace receives EASA STC approval for ADS-B upgrade
- Statoil drops Super Puma for ever
- Plans to Upgrade Polish Navy Fleet
- Parilease asks Avinco to manage 21 ex CHC EC225s
- Heli-One contracted by UAE military for Ariel and Manila support
- Helitech 2016: Stretching Safety too Far – a Withering Safety Culture
- EASA allows EC225 and AS332L2 to fly
- UK CAA keeps EC225 and AS332L2 grounded
- Norwegian CAA keeps EC225 and AS332L2 grounded
- Royal Thai Air Force orders two more EC725s
- Bristow Defence Industries Deploys
- The distressed H225 fleet – A review
- Kuwait orders 30 Airbus H225M Caracal
- Future of EC225 compounded by HUMS investigation remark