The SESAR Joint Undertaking has launched a call for exploratory research projects on the integration of drones into civil airspace within the framework of the SESAR 2020 research and innovation programme. Specifically, the call aims to stimulate initial solutions for drone traffic management, supporting the sharing of airspace between manned and unmanned systems. A total of EUR 9 million is earmarked for the research from the EU’s Horizon 2020 budget.
The growing drone market shows significant potential for Europe. However, the development of the drone industry is dependent on the ability of drones to operate in all areas of airspace, including at very low levels. Stimulating research and innovation in this domain and in relation to the traffic management of drone operations is therefore a “must-have” to safely unlock this growth.
The projects to be funded under this call are expected to address the key research questions impacting the operation of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS) in the very low level (VLL), including beyond visual line of sight (B-VLOS) operations, as well as visual flight rules (VFR) environments.
The technical specifications of this call for proposals were established in close collaboration with the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). The Agency will consider, where appropriate, the results of the awarded project for its future activities in that domain.
- R66 now has lithium-ion battery option
- Kaman Signs Multi-Year Contract with Sikorsky
- ForeFlight Introduces New Dual-Band ADS-B Receiver
- CHC Group Announces New Board of Managers
- Canada certifies airbus H145
- Horizon signs training agreement with Saudi Bell dealer
- Moscow Zhukovsky Airport adds helicopter facility
- Babcock and RACQ CQ Rescue renew contract
- Erickson achieves 100% effectiveness in Chilean firefighting
- Astronics Max-Viz Systems collaborating with FAA for a research study
- Air BP appoints Chief Commercial Officer
- HAI opens nominations for Salute to Excellence for Heli-Expo 2018
- Two UK police forces join to form operational drone unit
- Boeing awarded $27M contract for Preparation of Block 2 MH-47G
- Airbus awarded $35M contract for support of the UH-72 Lakota
- Bird’s Eye View Helicopters Launches NE & NY Charter Services
- More than 103 WAI Scholarships Now Ready for Applications
- CSAGA chooses Ramco
- HRH The Princess Royal Visits Bristow
- HeliOffshore collaborates on EC225 safety case