Airbus Helicopters, Inc. and Precise Flight, Inc. announced today that they have entered into a supply agreement for the Pulselite® Bird Strike Prevention System which will be offered as an option on all Airbus Helicopters models marketed in the United States.
The Pulselite® System is an FAA certified lightweight electrical system controller that alternately pulses the landing and auxiliary lights of a helicopter, thereby increasing its visibility and reflecting the speed and directional movement of the aircraft. The Pulselite® System has been shown to reduce bird strikes up to 66%, according to Precise Flight.
The recent exponential growth in global bird populations, combined with the increase in global air traffic, has caused bird strikes to become a primary safety threat and financial burden to rotorcraft operators. Leaders at Airbus Helicopters, Inc. said the time to act was now.
“Bird strikes are a growing problem for helicopter operators. We are optimistic that the Pulselite System will help to reduce the number of occurrences, and we are proud to offer it as an option to our customers,”said Lindsay Cunningham, Airbus Helicopters, Inc.’s Director of Aviation Safety.
Increased media attention on bird strikes, including the recent motion picture starring Tom Hanks about US Airways Flight 1549 that was forced to land in the Hudson River after multiple bird strikes caused engine failure, has increased public awareness of the threat of bird strikes.
“The ‘Sully’ Sullenberger movie has directed significant public attention to the threat of bird strikes and has elevated the related safety conversations among aviators,” said Doug La Placa, Chief Executive Officer of Precise Flight.
- Oklahoma Passes Bill for Aerial Gunning of Wild Hogs
- CAACI Issues Warning after Kite Collision
- RMAF welcomes upgraded Nuri helicopter
- GTA signs MoU to provide maintenance for HFA helicopters
- Russian Proposal for Service Centre in Sri Lanka
- 5th EDA HTIC to ‘take off’ with home-grown teachers
- Pawan Hans and Airbus Helicopters Collaborates for Maintenance Partnership
- Garmin® Unveils the Next Generation of All-in-One ADS-B Transponders
- HeliRussia and Show Observer celebrate a decade of partnership
- Agreement Between Helang Flying Academy & Rotortrade Services
- Pawan Hans, Dedicated First Integrated Heliport to the Nation
- Sky-Futures and Bristow Conduct Successful Interoperability Flight Test
- Thales delivers a flight and navigation training simulator to the Royal Malaysian Air Force
- SAFE Structure delivers hangar equipment to New Mexico Army National Guard
- Marine Corps Struggle with CH-53K Pricing
- Lifshitz & Miller LLP Announces Investigation of Air Methods
- Leonardo Expands In The Philippines
- The European Union and South Asia strengthen ties in civil aviation
- Bristow Group To Present At The Scotia Howard Weil 45th Annual Energy Conference
- Able Signs Exclusive Service Agreement with Eagle Australasia