The Unmanned Safety Institute, a professional organization dedicated to the safe and responsible integration of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) into the U.S. National Airspace System, today announced a joint partnership with the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) to provide innovative training on the safety and security of UAS to the law enforcement community throughout the State of Florida. The purpose of the educational workshops will be to train law enforcement officers who are FOP members on proper techniques for responding to unauthorized or unlawful UAS flight operations.
The workshop, “Responding to UAS Intrusions” will cover a variety of topics related to the UAS and its components, threats posed by UAS to critical infrastructure, types of UAS users, response protocols and best practices, and federal and state legal enforcement authorities. The first workshop will be held at the FOP Orlando Lodge on November 18, 2016.
In recent years, unlawful drone activity has rattled communities around the world. In 2015, an operator lost control of their drone and crashed onto the White House lawn triggering a large response by law enforcement. In that same year, a drone was used to transport a radioactive substance onto the roof of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s office building prompting a large security response and a review of legislation governing the use of drones in Japan.
“With over three million drones projected to be flying in the United States this year, the threat of an incident occurring increases exponentially,” said Aaron Greenwald, President of the Unmanned Safety Institute. “We think it is absolutely vital that all law enforcement officers across the country have a deep understanding of this technology and how to appropriately respond to unauthorized activity in the event an incident occurs.” Shawn Dunlap, President of the FOP Chapter in Orlando, Florida, stated how this training program will provide important education and training on the enforcement of unauthorized UAS activity to his membership.
- Oklahoma Passes Bill for Aerial Gunning of Wild Hogs
- CAACI Issues Warning after Kite Collision
- RMAF welcomes upgraded Nuri helicopter
- GTA signs MoU to provide maintenance for HFA helicopters
- Russian Proposal for Service Centre in Sri Lanka
- 5th EDA HTIC to ‘take off’ with home-grown teachers
- Pawan Hans and Airbus Helicopters Collaborates for Maintenance Partnership
- Garmin® Unveils the Next Generation of All-in-One ADS-B Transponders
- HeliRussia and Show Observer celebrate a decade of partnership
- Agreement Between Helang Flying Academy & Rotortrade Services
- Pawan Hans, Dedicated First Integrated Heliport to the Nation
- Sky-Futures and Bristow Conduct Successful Interoperability Flight Test
- Thales delivers a flight and navigation training simulator to the Royal Malaysian Air Force
- SAFE Structure delivers hangar equipment to New Mexico Army National Guard
- Marine Corps Struggle with CH-53K Pricing
- Lifshitz & Miller LLP Announces Investigation of Air Methods
- Leonardo Expands In The Philippines
- The European Union and South Asia strengthen ties in civil aviation
- Bristow Group To Present At The Scotia Howard Weil 45th Annual Energy Conference
- Able Signs Exclusive Service Agreement with Eagle Australasia