AHMEC’s history dates to 1993 when “spurred by the Philadelphia chapter of the American Helicopter Society, a number of rotary wing aviation pioneers and industry leaders discussed how to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the American Helicopter Society and recognize the Delaware Valley as the cradle of rotary wing aviation in the United States,” explained Marc Sheffler, Chairman of the Board of Trustees. Peter Wright, President of Keystone Helicopters and veteran of the famed Flying Tigers of World War II, was the driving force behind creating an all-helicopter museum. Two years of meetings followed to put all the logistics in place, locate a site and raise funds. On October 18, 1996, AHMEC’s doors opened to the public at what was formerly a manufacturing facility for MBB Helicopters adjacent Brandywine Airport where it continues to welcome visitors to this day.
Light supper and libations will be served at the 20th Anniversary Celebration by John Serock Catering. Major upgrades to the museum will be unveiled, including two new class/meeting rooms, an interactive exhibit in Pioneer Hall, comfortable Kids Helipad and fun Cobra Simulator. The versatile new state-of-the-art, 1250-square-foot theatre will be showcased with its flexible seating, drop-down multimedia screen, and computer capability with free WIFI access.
On view will be AHMEC’s latest acquisition: one of four rotors, hubs and trusses from the record-breaking human-powered helicopter, Atlas. The Atlas, designed and built by Canada’s AeroVelo, will be part of an upcoming interactive exhibit that will incorporate a stationary bicycle to reenact the dramatic flight that won the prestigious $250,000 American Helicopter Society Sikorsky Human-Powered Helicopter Prize in 2013.
- Bell 505 Cargo Hook Receives FAA Certification
- Magellan Jet launches 10-hour S76 card with AAG
- Kopter receives Aerosuisse Award
- Life Flight Network Launches New App for Hospitals and Emergency Responders
- Bell and Dart deliver first 505 floats to Japan Coast Guard
- VIH Aerospace Renews its CSF With Bell Helicopters
- Leonardo Congratulates Royal Canadian Air Force
- Garmin® introduces the G3000H integrated flight deck
- HeliRussia 2018 Update
- Collier County FL to buy new helicopter
- Norwegian operator Heli-Team celebrates 30 years
- New EMS Helipad being built at Columbus TX
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance starts work on new base
- BRS Aerospace Addressing Urban eVTOL Parachute Recovery Systems
- IMT Vislink and K2 Unmanned Systems launch law enforcement drone
- Med-Trans Opens New AeroCare Base
- LA Tour Company Announces New Tour Packages For Summer
- Sikorsky and Canada’s DND Receive AHS International Award
- AACUS Makes First Operational Cargo Delivery to US Marines
- Life Link III Opens New 24/7 Air Medical Helicopter Base in Wisconsin