Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) is set to build 10 additional MQ-8C Fire Scout unmanned helicopters for the U. S. Navy, giving maritime commanders persistent, real-time intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR).
The additional build will bring the total number of MQ-8C Fire Scout air vehicles procured to 29, extending the range and endurance of naval operations.
“MQ-8C is meeting all of its performance objectives, and the system is delivering a greater naval warfighting capability,” said Capt. Jeff Dodge, program manager, Fire Scout, Naval Air Systems Command. “We are looking forward to moving the MQ-8C operational testing and deployment as a part of surface warfare mission packages.”
The MQ-8C Fire Scout airframe is based on the reliable commercial Bell 407, a mature helicopter with more than 1,600 airframes produced and over 4.4 million flight hours. Modifications to the MQ-8C’s airframes are carried out at the Bell Helicopter facility in Ozark, Alabama, while final assembly is performed in Moss Point, Mississippi.
“In partnership with the U.S. Navy, we are dedicated to fielding this state-of-the-art, ship-based ISR platform as part of a strategy that provides warfighters ISR,” said Leslie Smith, vice president, tactical autonomous systems, Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems. “We are pleased to support the Navy with additional MQ-8C Fire Scouts with maritime dominance support through this procurement. Our team will strive to exceed expectations in affordability, quality and on-time delivery.”
MQ-8C Fire Scout has completed operational assessment, a developmental flight test program and is now preparing for Milestone C. MQ-8C Fire Scout has accrued over 730 flight hours and flown 353 sorties.
- Med-Trans Opens New AeroCare Base
- Bell awarded $22M contract for Seven extra Bell 407 airframes
- Bell awarded $10M contract for Procurement of 3 B407 Airframes
- Bell to Widen Malaysian Market
- Trakka annonces FAA approval for Bell series
- Boost Systems Dual Hook Systems and Personnel Carrying Devise approved for B407 and AS350/355
- Montana – ALERT program raising money for new helicopter
- 05-Nov-17 N522RL Bell 407 Rig MP281, US-Gulf of Mexico
- Bell promotes 407 in African market
- SAFE Structure designs maintenance stands for Halo Flight
- FAA approves B206 and B407 sim from Ryan-Precision JV
- Bell 407 operator LJ Aviation renews ACSF registration
- Sonoma County Sheriff gets sign off for new Bell 407GXP
- New Bell representative for UK and Ireland
- 18-May-17 N6040Y Bell 407 Fort Worth, US-Texas
- 13-May-17 Bell 407 Mosul, Iraq
- FAA certifies Onboard Systems B407 Cargo Hook Kits
- Kalispell Regional Medical Center to Replace Bell 407
- 02-May-17 N457PH Bell 407 Grand Bay, US-Gulf of Mexico
- PhilJets Confirms Addition of Airbus H130, H145, and Bell 407 Helicopters in Its Fleet