First Minister, the Rt. Hon. Arlene Foster and deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness have announced that the Maze Long Kesh site will be made available to host the new air ambulance service for Northern Ireland.
The agreement of an air ambulance operational base, taking account of medical requirements and cost, will be a crucial step towards the establishment of the service.
Making the announcement the Ministers said: “We are delighted to make land at Maze Long Kesh available to bring this goal a step closer to reality.
“This is another example of the Executive working together to deliver results that make a real difference.
“We look forward to an accessible air ambulance service becoming operational as soon as possible to help save lives when time is critical.
“Executive Ministers stand ready to do all they can to help to make that happen.
“The service will play an important role as we re-shape our health service in the years ahead and will help ensure that we provide the best possible emergency care for people when speed is of the essence.”
The First Minister and deputy First Minister also paid tribute to all those who have campaigned, worked, raised funds and donated money for the air ambulance.
“We think particularly today of the late Dr John Hinds, who was a strong advocate of establishing this service. It will be a fitting tribute to him.
“Great credit must go to the trustees of the charity Air Ambulance Northern Ireland who have worked so hard to deliver the project.”
Dr John Hinds was fatally injured working as a race medic at the Skerries 100 Road Race in Dublin last year. His family and friends have been to the fore in the campaign for the air ambulance.
Speaking on behalf of the MLKDC Board, Chairman Terence Brannigan said: “I welcome the announcement by the First Minister and deputy First Minister in respect of potentially locating the air ambulance at the Maze Long Kesh Site. The Development Corporation looks forward to working with and supporting Air Ambulance NI in the future.”
- AACUS Makes First Operational Cargo Delivery to US Marines
- Life Link III Opens New 24/7 Air Medical Helicopter Base in Wisconsin
- CareFlight appoints new CEO
- Spirit Delivers 5th CH-53K System Demonstration Test Article
- HeliOffshore appoints Executive Assistant
- Merlin Technology awarded patent for helicopter emergency collective actuator
- L-3 Communications awarded $42M contract for TH-57 fleet logistics services
- 920th Rescue Wing receives Power and Vigilance Award
- Metro delivers H125 to Jujuy Province
- Air Zermatt celebrates 50 years of operations with B429 delivery
- Safran made two senior management appointments
- Autonomous Helicopter Technology Wins Another Major Award
- The Bell Air Taxi Takes Uber Elevate Attendees For A Ride
- Bell V-280 makes first cruise mode flight
- Airbus to offer H135 to U.S. Navy
- Honeywell Introduces New Flight Data Monitoring App
- Lee County acquires six Airbus H125s
- Coptersafety appoints Head of Development and Test Pilot
- NASA to Send Helicopter to Mars
- Sikorsky Begins Deliveries to the U.S. Marine Corps