First Minister, the Rt. Hon. Arlene Foster and deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness have announced that the Maze Long Kesh site will be made available to host the new air ambulance service for Northern Ireland.
The agreement of an air ambulance operational base, taking account of medical requirements and cost, will be a crucial step towards the establishment of the service.
Making the announcement the Ministers said: “We are delighted to make land at Maze Long Kesh available to bring this goal a step closer to reality.
“This is another example of the Executive working together to deliver results that make a real difference.
“We look forward to an accessible air ambulance service becoming operational as soon as possible to help save lives when time is critical.
“Executive Ministers stand ready to do all they can to help to make that happen.
“The service will play an important role as we re-shape our health service in the years ahead and will help ensure that we provide the best possible emergency care for people when speed is of the essence.”
The First Minister and deputy First Minister also paid tribute to all those who have campaigned, worked, raised funds and donated money for the air ambulance.
“We think particularly today of the late Dr John Hinds, who was a strong advocate of establishing this service. It will be a fitting tribute to him.
“Great credit must go to the trustees of the charity Air Ambulance Northern Ireland who have worked so hard to deliver the project.”
Dr John Hinds was fatally injured working as a race medic at the Skerries 100 Road Race in Dublin last year. His family and friends have been to the fore in the campaign for the air ambulance.
Speaking on behalf of the MLKDC Board, Chairman Terence Brannigan said: “I welcome the announcement by the First Minister and deputy First Minister in respect of potentially locating the air ambulance at the Maze Long Kesh Site. The Development Corporation looks forward to working with and supporting Air Ambulance NI in the future.”
- JETcopter finalizes 7-seat flying car design
- Russian Helicopters presents in Cambodia
- Sikorsky donates to Patient AirLift Services
- Which US Helicopter Industries Have the Best and the Worst Accident Records?
- Edmonton Police contracts for Safran engine program
- IAR and Airbus Sign H215M Definitive Collaborative Agreement
- New Boeing AH-64E Block 2 Compound
- New Russian High-Speed Helicopter
- H145 Warranty engine extension
- Russian Helicopters sign contract for the supply of 20 Ansats to China
- Joint Venture launches H145 simulator in Norway
- Rockwell Collins awarded five-year US Army contract
- HAI names Director of Safety
- Telephonics AN/ZPY-4 will be used on the MQ-8B Fire Scout
- Canadian Coast Guard donates surplus Bo105s for technical training
- Skyhunter acquires 200K acres for helicopter hog hunting
- Annapurna Helicopter received approval from CAAN, Mustang to receive NOC in a few days
- Parker-Hannifin Awarded $39M Contract for HH-60 Spare Stock Number Items
- Ansat and Mi-171A2 helicopters begin a demonstration tour
- First Zulus arrive at MCAS Cherry Point