First Minister, the Rt. Hon. Arlene Foster and deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness have announced that the Maze Long Kesh site will be made available to host the new air ambulance service for Northern Ireland.
The agreement of an air ambulance operational base, taking account of medical requirements and cost, will be a crucial step towards the establishment of the service.
Making the announcement the Ministers said: “We are delighted to make land at Maze Long Kesh available to bring this goal a step closer to reality.
“This is another example of the Executive working together to deliver results that make a real difference.
“We look forward to an accessible air ambulance service becoming operational as soon as possible to help save lives when time is critical.
“Executive Ministers stand ready to do all they can to help to make that happen.
“The service will play an important role as we re-shape our health service in the years ahead and will help ensure that we provide the best possible emergency care for people when speed is of the essence.”
The First Minister and deputy First Minister also paid tribute to all those who have campaigned, worked, raised funds and donated money for the air ambulance.
“We think particularly today of the late Dr John Hinds, who was a strong advocate of establishing this service. It will be a fitting tribute to him.
“Great credit must go to the trustees of the charity Air Ambulance Northern Ireland who have worked so hard to deliver the project.”
Dr John Hinds was fatally injured working as a race medic at the Skerries 100 Road Race in Dublin last year. His family and friends have been to the fore in the campaign for the air ambulance.
Speaking on behalf of the MLKDC Board, Chairman Terence Brannigan said: “I welcome the announcement by the First Minister and deputy First Minister in respect of potentially locating the air ambulance at the Maze Long Kesh Site. The Development Corporation looks forward to working with and supporting Air Ambulance NI in the future.”
- Precision Flight Controls releases simulator for B206 and B407GXP
- New European Plan for Aviation Safety
- WINDEAcare to provide offshore EMS support during wind farm construction
- 3rd MAW Super Cobra takes final flight
- Korea Aerospace selects GVH Wet Deck for Korean Coast Guard
- Alpine first to market certified Bear Paws for B505
- Worldwide Helicopter Safety Teams Will Release Accident Data at Heli-Expo 2018
- Evonik to exhibit at Heli-Expo 2018
- JETNET to Feature New Reporting Tools at Heli-Expo 2018
- Rogue Aviation Opens Flight School Focused on Flight Safety
- HAL seeks partner for Dhruv program Image pick a good one after searching ‘dhruv’
- Kopter Group appoints VP of Business Development for US market
- RAMM receives FAA approval for R44 Cabin Floor Trays
- HFI Silent Auction Opens Today
- Production of T408 engine begins for CH-53K
- London Air Ambulance appoints new director
- Liebherr contracting for Airbus H160 heating valves
- Robinson to launch R66 hook at Heli-Expo
- Airbus Helicopters name new CEO
- Smartphone app released for Heli-Expo 2018