The Wales Air Ambulance Charity has been successful in its bid for funding from the LIBOR banking fines, announced in the Treasury’s Autumn Statement.
The £1m boost will go towards increasing flying hours and the charity’s plans for night operations.
WAAC’s chief executive Angela Hughes said: “It’s the charity’s vision to become a 24-hour operation and this donation from the LIBOR fund takes us a step closer to reaching that goal.
“Our bid set out how a donation from LIBOR would help us to set up a fully-functional night operation for the whole of Wales, enabling us to carry out paediatric, neonatal and adult missions on board our aircraft. We’re delighted to have secured £1m, which will cover one third of our costs for night flight planning.”
Wales Air Ambulance Charity needs to raise £6.5m in charitable donations every year to keep its four helicopters flying. The charity will continue fundraising and appealing for donations to reach its goal of a 24/7 service.
It works in partnership with NHS Wales, who supply medical crews and kit on board the helicopters.
It is the second time the Wales Air Ambulance Charity has applied for and received funding from the LIBOR banking fines. In 2015 the charity received £1.5m towards a helicopter upgrade, which will help to cover the operation of a new fleet for a period of one year from 2017.
WAAC will receive the £1m LIBOR donation in April 2017.
- Autonomous Helicopter Technology Wins Another Major Award
- The Bell Air Taxi Takes Uber Elevate Attendees For A Ride
- Bell V-280 makes first cruise mode flight
- Airbus to offer H135 to U.S. Navy
- Honeywell Introduces New Flight Data Monitoring App
- Lee County acquires six Airbus H125s
- Coptersafety appoints Head of Development and Test Pilot
- NASA to Send Helicopter to Mars
- Sikorsky Begins Deliveries to the U.S. Marine Corps
- Reignwood Star to receive Rolls-Royce M250 and RR300 Support from StandardAero
- Medical Lead for Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance Appointed
- HeliOffshore 2018 Conference Proceedings
- Whirly-Girls Mid-Year Scholarship Cycle Enters Last Week
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance Aeromedical Conference confirm speakers
- Bell 505 receives certification in China
- Bell Boeing JPO awarded $25M contract for V-22 Spares
- Helicentre 2019 Scholarship Programme Now Open
- HAI Matt Zuccaro testifies before Senate committee on UAS integration
- 2018 SMTA Scholarship Winners
- Coast Guard Cadets Redesign Helicopter Rescue Basket