The UK’s first onshore elevated helipad with a Deck Integrated Fire Fighting System (DIFFS) at Kings College Hospital London has been certified to UK CAA CAP 1264 by CAA International (CAAi).
The construction phase of the helipad was managed by Watts Group Limited during a period when UK best practice was transitioning from Health Building Note (HBN) 15:03 to UK CAA CAP 1264, the latest UK design and operational standards for helicopter landing areas at hospitals. Following an in-depth review of the helipad drawings, the feasibility study and comprehensive onsite inspections by UK CAA Regulators, the helipad was given the green light for helicopter emergency medical services (HEMS) and air ambulance operations.
To meet the design requirements of ICAO Annex 14 (Volume II), CAP 437 and the latest CAP 1264, the helipad’s physical characteristics (surface, tie-down points, safety net, and access points), environmental and operational factors, visual aids and fire fighting systems all had to be assessed. Tim Messer, Project Director for Watts Group Limited said, “To achieve UK CAA compliance, we had to increase the water storage tanks from 8m3 to 20m3. The system also required new foam mixing equipment, larger pumps and associated controls. The CAA certification gives assurance that HEMS operations at KCH can operate safely and best serve patients in time critical conditions”.
- Boeing awarded $181M contract for Procurement of 156 CH-47F Chinook Helicopters
- Bell and SUBARU announce their collaboration
- First H160 pre-assembled rear fuselage is plug and play ready
- Safran renews Pattonair contract
- Japan Coast Guard signs HCare Smart for its H225 fleet
- Aeronautical Accessories Focused on Expanding Bell 505 Accessory Offerings
- CAAS, EASA and Airbus collaborate
- Boeing awarded $264M contract for MH-47 Support Services
- Magpas Air Ambulance selects AW169 to replace MD Explorer
- Sloane Helicopters opens up Irish corporate market with AW109 GrandNew sale
- Bell 429 Celebrates over 330 000 hours of operation
- CAE launches CAE 700MR Series flight training device
- NH90 Sea Lion starts Qualification phase
- Airbus hands over Empire Test Pilot School H125 to QinetiQ
- MD Helicopters creates MDHI Flight Training Academy
- GVH awarded EASA STC for H135 Aeromedical System
- FAA approves all-glass cockpit for MD530F
- CNC Technologies selected to Deploy Airborne Mission Suites for Agency’s New Airbus H125
- Boeing Receives Contract for Four Special Operations Chinooks
- Bristow opens new SAR base at Lydd