The UK’s first onshore elevated helipad with a Deck Integrated Fire Fighting System (DIFFS) at Kings College Hospital London has been certified to UK CAA CAP 1264 by CAA International (CAAi).
The construction phase of the helipad was managed by Watts Group Limited during a period when UK best practice was transitioning from Health Building Note (HBN) 15:03 to UK CAA CAP 1264, the latest UK design and operational standards for helicopter landing areas at hospitals. Following an in-depth review of the helipad drawings, the feasibility study and comprehensive onsite inspections by UK CAA Regulators, the helipad was given the green light for helicopter emergency medical services (HEMS) and air ambulance operations.
To meet the design requirements of ICAO Annex 14 (Volume II), CAP 437 and the latest CAP 1264, the helipad’s physical characteristics (surface, tie-down points, safety net, and access points), environmental and operational factors, visual aids and fire fighting systems all had to be assessed. Tim Messer, Project Director for Watts Group Limited said, “To achieve UK CAA compliance, we had to increase the water storage tanks from 8m3 to 20m3. The system also required new foam mixing equipment, larger pumps and associated controls. The CAA certification gives assurance that HEMS operations at KCH can operate safely and best serve patients in time critical conditions”.
- Airbus responds to Norwegian EC225 investigation update
- EASA responds to Norwegian EC225 investigation update
- Norwegian Investigators issue another Preliminary Report on EC225 accident
- Inaugural Rotorcraft Asia established as key regional industry event
- Era Group Announces Q1 2017 Earnings Release Call
- HeliRussia 2017, visitors’ registration for business program is open
- Onboard Systems Cargo Hook Kits Receive EASA Certification
- Delta partners with Blade for Manhattan-JFK transfers
- Routine Review of SKYTRAC
- Frasca International Sells Airbus H125 Helicopter Flight Simulator
- Safran signs first customer support contract in South Korea
- Airbus Helicopters Congratulates Bangkok Helicopter Services for Ten Years of EMS Operations
- Mi-35M Induction to Nigerian Air Force
- AHS supports Uber vision of electric VTOL
- CHC Wins Contract with Providence Resources PLC
- Great North Air Ambulance Service doctor wins award for blood work
- Russian Helicopters has made its first Mi-171E
- Air BP appointments new Global General Aviation Sales and Marketing Manager
- East Anglian Air Ambulance appoints new Board of Trustees member
- H145 is best in class for hoist operations