The UK’s first onshore elevated helipad with a Deck Integrated Fire Fighting System (DIFFS) at Kings College Hospital London has been certified to UK CAA CAP 1264 by CAA International (CAAi).
The construction phase of the helipad was managed by Watts Group Limited during a period when UK best practice was transitioning from Health Building Note (HBN) 15:03 to UK CAA CAP 1264, the latest UK design and operational standards for helicopter landing areas at hospitals. Following an in-depth review of the helipad drawings, the feasibility study and comprehensive onsite inspections by UK CAA Regulators, the helipad was given the green light for helicopter emergency medical services (HEMS) and air ambulance operations.
To meet the design requirements of ICAO Annex 14 (Volume II), CAP 437 and the latest CAP 1264, the helipad’s physical characteristics (surface, tie-down points, safety net, and access points), environmental and operational factors, visual aids and fire fighting systems all had to be assessed. Tim Messer, Project Director for Watts Group Limited said, “To achieve UK CAA compliance, we had to increase the water storage tanks from 8m3 to 20m3. The system also required new foam mixing equipment, larger pumps and associated controls. The CAA certification gives assurance that HEMS operations at KCH can operate safely and best serve patients in time critical conditions”.
- Bell awarded $10M contract for Procurement of 3 B407 Airframes
- Sacramento PD Becomes First Law Enforcement Agency to Operate Bell 505
- US Air Force delivers new Black Hawks to 12th CAB
- CAE wins contract to provide Qatar Emiri Air Force with comprehensive NH90 training solution
- HMLA-367 bids farewell to AH-1W Super Cobra helicopters
- Canadian AvGas supply problem partly resolved
- First show of the new Russian light helicopter to take place at HeliRussia 2018
- Milestone Aviation provides four new H135 helicopters to ADAC
- Oceania Aviation receives award from MD Helicopters
- New mission systems extend the capabilities for the German Federal Police Air Support
- Honeywell provides support to AW139 Leonardo fleets
- Trakka announces SWE-400 Quad Orders
- 4 Key Helicopter Technologies That Will Save Lives
- Mid-Continent Named Authorized BendixKing Repair Partner
- Marine Corps Plans for Super UAS
- Charleston County Sheriff Replace Aging Bell
- DART Aerospace certifies lightweight Bell 505 Bearpaws
- MD Helicopters announces scholarship recipient
- Aero Products partners with Pall Aerospace
- StandardAero Announces Plans Expansion