With deer hunting season and oyster harvesting reaching their peaks, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources has added a new conservation enforcement tool to its fleet: its own helicopter.
The black-and-gold aircraft, Natural 1, has resumed its place after a seven-year absence on the department’s roster.
The helicopter will be used as a surveillance platform to assist Natural Resources Police officers as they patrol 17,000 miles of waterways and nearly a half-million acres of public lands.
The police aviation unit, founded nearly 70 years ago, was eliminated by the previous administration in 2009. The helicopter was then transferred to the Harford County Sheriff’s Office and painted deep blue.
About a year ago, the 1972 Bell Jet Ranger became available and Natural Resources Secretary Mark Belton became determined to bring it back home. His effort to restore the department’s aviation capability received the strong support of Governor Larry Hogan.
“Once we heard that the helicopter was available, we jumped at the opportunity to bring it back to the department to aid our conservation and enforcement activities,” said Natural Resources Secretary Mark Belton. “Natural 1 will assist our officers patrolling our public lands and waters ensuring the safety of our guests and visitors as well as the protection of our most precious natural resources.”
After a year of refurbishing, the helicopter returned to service last week with one of its original pilots at the controls to carry out oyster enforcement patrols as well as aid in the search for two missing people.
“I think it goes without saying we are all elated to have this valuable asset available to us again,” said Natural Resources Police Colonel Robert “Ken” Ziegler Jr. “This is one more major step forward for our department and its conservation mission.”
The helicopter will be used during the hunting season to enforce conservation and management laws, serve as backup to officers on patrol, and help speed rescuers to emergency accidents and incidents.
- Negotiations for Stat MedEvac Housing at Clearfield-Lawrence Airport
- Sanford AirMed Stationed at Fargo Hospital
- Tender Issued for EMS Helicopter to Support Baltic Wind Farms
- CoxHealth Expands Air Medical Fleet
- East Anglian Air Ambulance says goodbye to one of its founding members
- Frasca Sells H125 Flight Simulator to Aero Asahi
- BAT Trainer Modernizes Helicopter Simulator Flying
- FAA to Hold Airspace Workshops in Las Vegas
- DART Aerospace to exhibit at FAMEX 2017
- Heritage Aviation expands its fleet with two new Airbus H130 helicopters
- FAA approves Onboard Systems MD500 Hooks with Surefire Release
- The Helicopter Museum to dispose of A109 and B206 airframes in Jumble Sale
- Esterline showcases ADS-B Annunciators with fast delivery
- Jonathan Jenkins appointed new CEO of London’s Air Ambulance
- Héli-Union Opens a New Branch in Pau, France
- US Navy awards Elbit $150M MH-60S fleet helmet contract
- McMahon Helicopter Services appointed distributor for MD Helicopters
- RUAG integrates pilot assistance and safety solution on Swiss AF EC635 fleet
- Counterdrug MH-65 Unit Marks 500th Drug Interdiction
- Aselsan Looks to Upgrade 10,000 Mi-series Helicopters