Before the end of March 2017 the last of the six National Police Air Service’s MD Explorers will take to the sky for its final flight and will be replaced by an Airbus Helicopters H135 as the service is streamlined.
NPAS began the conversion process from the 902 to 135 last year and the remaining Explorer is based at the Wakefield, Carr Gate base. The 135 can remain airborne for in excess of two hours with a cruise speed of 140 knots and is equipped to capture and transmit broadcast quality video in the daytime and thermal imaging in total darkness. Other features include a high magnification lens, a Skyforce aerial mapping system which has a full address database, a 700W public address system which will be used to give out public safety messages as well as communicating with people who are stranded, a Nitesun © searchlight with 30million candle power and a digital microwave downlink which can send real-time video to police control rooms and mobile units.
The crew at Carr Gate will gain familiarity with the new aircraft in the coming weeks prior to it being operational. While offline, air support will continue to be provided from surrounding bases as NPAS is a borderless national service.
- Airbus Helicopters CEO to move to Commercial Aircraft division
- Arizona National Guard may lose last four Apaches
- Philippine Air Force to Acquire 24 Attack Helicopters
- Wiking Helikopter welcomes second H145 to Jade Weser Airport
- Rostec Signs an Agreement to Promote Helicopters in South-East Asia
- Aurora Demonstrates Fully Autonomous Helicopter
- Airbus promotes carbon content in colour scheme of third H160 prototype
- Falcon Aviation earns IS-BAH Accreditation
- Northland Rescue Helicopter and Fire and Emergency New Zealand Team Up
- South Korea conducts AH-64 missile drills
- Denel runs out of cash – No Christmas pay for staff
- HAI announces BLR Aerospace Safety Award winner
- HAI announces Sikorsky Humanitarian Service Award winner
- HAI announces Lightspeed Aviation Communication Award winner
- CHC Group Appoints New CFO
- HAI announces MD Helicopters Law Enforcement Award winner
- ADsoftware announces Heli Air Monaco contract
- Life Link III to add Wisconsin base in 2018
- East/West Earns FAA Repair Station Certification
- Bristow Announces Public Offering of $125 Million Convertible Senior Notes