Before the end of March 2017 the last of the six National Police Air Service’s MD Explorers will take to the sky for its final flight and will be replaced by an Airbus Helicopters H135 as the service is streamlined.
NPAS began the conversion process from the 902 to 135 last year and the remaining Explorer is based at the Wakefield, Carr Gate base. The 135 can remain airborne for in excess of two hours with a cruise speed of 140 knots and is equipped to capture and transmit broadcast quality video in the daytime and thermal imaging in total darkness. Other features include a high magnification lens, a Skyforce aerial mapping system which has a full address database, a 700W public address system which will be used to give out public safety messages as well as communicating with people who are stranded, a Nitesun © searchlight with 30million candle power and a digital microwave downlink which can send real-time video to police control rooms and mobile units.
The crew at Carr Gate will gain familiarity with the new aircraft in the coming weeks prior to it being operational. While offline, air support will continue to be provided from surrounding bases as NPAS is a borderless national service.
- Boeing awarded $181M contract for Procurement of 156 CH-47F Chinook Helicopters
- Bell and SUBARU announce their collaboration
- First H160 pre-assembled rear fuselage is plug and play ready
- Safran renews Pattonair contract
- Japan Coast Guard signs HCare Smart for its H225 fleet
- Aeronautical Accessories Focused on Expanding Bell 505 Accessory Offerings
- CAAS, EASA and Airbus collaborate
- Boeing awarded $264M contract for MH-47 Support Services
- Magpas Air Ambulance selects AW169 to replace MD Explorer
- Sloane Helicopters opens up Irish corporate market with AW109 GrandNew sale
- Bell 429 Celebrates over 330 000 hours of operation
- CAE launches CAE 700MR Series flight training device
- NH90 Sea Lion starts Qualification phase
- Airbus hands over Empire Test Pilot School H125 to QinetiQ
- MD Helicopters creates MDHI Flight Training Academy
- GVH awarded EASA STC for H135 Aeromedical System
- FAA approves all-glass cockpit for MD530F
- CNC Technologies selected to Deploy Airborne Mission Suites for Agency’s New Airbus H125
- Boeing Receives Contract for Four Special Operations Chinooks
- Bristow opens new SAR base at Lydd