Boeing [NYSE:BA] today unveiled its MH-139 helicopter in the competition to replace the U.S. Air Force’s UH-1N “Huey” fleet, which currently protects intercontinental ballistic missiles and transports U.S. government and security forces.
Boeing’s response to the Air Force, revealed at the Air Force Association Air Warfare Symposium, is based on the market-leading Leonardo Helicopters AW139, a modern, non-developmental, multi-mission helicopter.
“This Northeast Philadelphia-built aircraft is sized to meet U.S. Air Force requirements and offers more than $1 billion in acquisition and lifecycle expense savings over 30 years when compared to competitor aircraft,” said David Koopersmith, vice president and general manager, Boeing Vertical Lift.
The U.S. Air Force UH-1N Replacement Program plans to replace the current Huey fleet — which entered service in the 1970s — with up to 84 new helicopters.
“The Huey replacement is of vital importance to the Air Force, and the MH-139 is the right solution for those missions,” said Judy Fedder, director of Global Sales & Marketing, Boeing Integrated Logistics, and a retired U.S. Air Force lieutenant general. “The fact that the AW139 is being built today on an active production line will speed it to meet the time-critical demand following the competition.”
Almost 900 AW139s are in service with more than 250 governments, militaries and companies across the world. More than 250 of the helicopters have been assembled and delivered from Philadelphia.
- Belgian operator wins Dutch pipeline contract
- STARS receives $250,000 donation from Access Credit Union
- Babcock MCS to recognise engineers union
- Heli Holland expand offshore fleet with two H155s and an H175
- Waypoint place their first lease into Columbia
- Volocopter agrees 25M Euro funding
- Orbit to expand Orbit Communication Systems
- Lawyers propose settlement for 2014 CHC share buyers
- Brazil approves BLR Aerospace FastFin for H125
- Blue Sky Network will be at LABACE 2017
- VNH help car launch using both Cabri and AW189
- Forecast for Global Military Helicopter Market 2017-2026
- Royal Navy announces Osprey Trophy winner
- JSSI expands S76 coverage
- PCX Aerostructures awarded $8M contract for right connecting links for the Apache AH-64 weapon system
- Helipad Events for Shangri-La Hotel
- Bristow vocalise current H225 thought process
- AHS announces results of annual Student Design Competition
- Spectrum Releases New Carbon Fiber 3200 Series
- Leonardo reports more AW169 and GrandNew sales in Brazil