Successful integration and testing of the new Transition to Hover feature has now been completed in the AS332L/L1 Super Puma helicopter. As part of a new software change for the Universal Avionics Flight Management System (FMS), Transition to Hover is a must-have feature for any AS332L/L1 crew engaged in overwater SAR operations, where the helicopter must be brought to a position to allow for winch operations.
The Transition to Hover feature allows pilots to mark a target, and the FMS provides an automatic downwind leg with a course reversal. This positions the helicopter to a point where the CDV-155 can perform the transition down and deceleration to a stable hover downwind of the target. Transition to Hover allows a hands-free operation for the crew, allowing them to focus on other mission critical tactics.
“This is an important addition to the FMS/Multi-Missions Management System (MMMS) SAR capabilities,” said Grady Dees, Universal Avionics Director of Technical Sales. “The Mark-on-Target can be activated during any MMMS operation, including during automatic search patterns,” he added. “Just a single pilot action after MarkOn-Target allows the automatic procedure to be executed.”
The flight testing in Stavanger, Norway was accomplished on a military helicopter with Heli-One as part of an AS332L/L1 modernization program currently underway.
“The Transition to Hover feature is a valuable tool for crews and can heavily benefit search and rescue missions,” said Anthony DiNota, President, Heli-One. “This solution was developed by Universal Avionics as they continue to enhance their flight management systems, adding great mission value for operators. We are pleased to collaborate with them and to work with our customers to bring these solutions to operational capability.”
To learn more, visit Universal Avionics booth number 9149 or Heli-One booth number 2608 during the Helicopter Association International’s (HAI) 2017 Heli-Expo.
- Sikorsky awarded $10M contract for Delivery of CH-53K spare parts and Labour
- Toll Helicopters Donates Engine to Aviation High School
- Edmonton news helicopter celebrates 10 years
- OSS wins two year AW109 EMS contract in Tamil Nadu
- Ontario City looks at EMS helipad location options
- Paradise Helicopters under threat from neighbours
- Bristow starts construction of new facility at Lydd SAR base
- Volocopter to carry out test flights in Dubai in Q4
- FAA employee union opposes ATC privatisation
- Airbus reveals Racer demonstrator developed from X3
- Marenco adds non-executive Director
- Airbus picks Salesforce CRM software
- CHC Announces New Contract with Quadrant Energy
- Spectrum Health celebrates 30 years of Aero Med
- Manatee County Sheriff bids for new helicopter
- Idaho operator Timberline Helicopters moving to new base
- Mount Isa EMS helicopter updated from B230 to BK117
- India moves more armed helicopters to Chinese border
- Safran and Thai Aviation Industries to support Royal Thai Armed Forces
- SaxonAir adds two AW109SP GrandNew helicopters to charter fleet