Successful integration and testing of the new Transition to Hover feature has now been completed in the AS332L/L1 Super Puma helicopter. As part of a new software change for the Universal Avionics Flight Management System (FMS), Transition to Hover is a must-have feature for any AS332L/L1 crew engaged in overwater SAR operations, where the helicopter must be brought to a position to allow for winch operations.
The Transition to Hover feature allows pilots to mark a target, and the FMS provides an automatic downwind leg with a course reversal. This positions the helicopter to a point where the CDV-155 can perform the transition down and deceleration to a stable hover downwind of the target. Transition to Hover allows a hands-free operation for the crew, allowing them to focus on other mission critical tactics.
“This is an important addition to the FMS/Multi-Missions Management System (MMMS) SAR capabilities,” said Grady Dees, Universal Avionics Director of Technical Sales. “The Mark-on-Target can be activated during any MMMS operation, including during automatic search patterns,” he added. “Just a single pilot action after MarkOn-Target allows the automatic procedure to be executed.”
The flight testing in Stavanger, Norway was accomplished on a military helicopter with Heli-One as part of an AS332L/L1 modernization program currently underway.
“The Transition to Hover feature is a valuable tool for crews and can heavily benefit search and rescue missions,” said Anthony DiNota, President, Heli-One. “This solution was developed by Universal Avionics as they continue to enhance their flight management systems, adding great mission value for operators. We are pleased to collaborate with them and to work with our customers to bring these solutions to operational capability.”
To learn more, visit Universal Avionics booth number 9149 or Heli-One booth number 2608 during the Helicopter Association International’s (HAI) 2017 Heli-Expo.
- Airbus responds to Norwegian EC225 investigation update
- EASA responds to Norwegian EC225 investigation update
- Norwegian Investigators issue another Preliminary Report on EC225 accident
- Inaugural Rotorcraft Asia established as key regional industry event
- Era Group Announces Q1 2017 Earnings Release Call
- HeliRussia 2017, visitors’ registration for business program is open
- Onboard Systems Cargo Hook Kits Receive EASA Certification
- Delta partners with Blade for Manhattan-JFK transfers
- Routine Review of SKYTRAC
- Frasca International Sells Airbus H125 Helicopter Flight Simulator
- Safran signs first customer support contract in South Korea
- Airbus Helicopters Congratulates Bangkok Helicopter Services for Ten Years of EMS Operations
- Mi-35M Induction to Nigerian Air Force
- AHS supports Uber vision of electric VTOL
- CHC Wins Contract with Providence Resources PLC
- Great North Air Ambulance Service doctor wins award for blood work
- Russian Helicopters has made its first Mi-171E
- Air BP appointments new Global General Aviation Sales and Marketing Manager
- East Anglian Air Ambulance appoints new Board of Trustees member
- H145 is best in class for hoist operations