Successful integration and testing of the new Transition to Hover feature has now been completed in the AS332L/L1 Super Puma helicopter. As part of a new software change for the Universal Avionics Flight Management System (FMS), Transition to Hover is a must-have feature for any AS332L/L1 crew engaged in overwater SAR operations, where the helicopter must be brought to a position to allow for winch operations.
The Transition to Hover feature allows pilots to mark a target, and the FMS provides an automatic downwind leg with a course reversal. This positions the helicopter to a point where the CDV-155 can perform the transition down and deceleration to a stable hover downwind of the target. Transition to Hover allows a hands-free operation for the crew, allowing them to focus on other mission critical tactics.
“This is an important addition to the FMS/Multi-Missions Management System (MMMS) SAR capabilities,” said Grady Dees, Universal Avionics Director of Technical Sales. “The Mark-on-Target can be activated during any MMMS operation, including during automatic search patterns,” he added. “Just a single pilot action after MarkOn-Target allows the automatic procedure to be executed.”
The flight testing in Stavanger, Norway was accomplished on a military helicopter with Heli-One as part of an AS332L/L1 modernization program currently underway.
“The Transition to Hover feature is a valuable tool for crews and can heavily benefit search and rescue missions,” said Anthony DiNota, President, Heli-One. “This solution was developed by Universal Avionics as they continue to enhance their flight management systems, adding great mission value for operators. We are pleased to collaborate with them and to work with our customers to bring these solutions to operational capability.”
To learn more, visit Universal Avionics booth number 9149 or Heli-One booth number 2608 during the Helicopter Association International’s (HAI) 2017 Heli-Expo.
- Palm Beach Helicopters installs TH22SM AATD from ELITE
- Nord Helikopter praises Auk protection suits
- Vector takes AS350 crash resistant fuel system to AMTC 2017
- DART Aerospace now accepting preorders for Bell 505 Bearpaws
- Oceania Aviation complete Pakistan Army Schweizer upgrade program
- Skytrac receives patent for bill-by-the-mile tracker
- Airbus Helicopters proudly supports AAMS Community Award Winners
- Helicopter Museum Co-hosts Main Line Airport Dedication
- Milestone Aviation Group Supports Indian Heligo’s Growth
- Airbus shows H130 and EC145 at AMTC 2017
- Fleet Keeper gets CAAP approval
- Leonardo’s Japanese helicopter market grows
- Bristow CEO describes the three commandments of safety
- AW169 helicopter scores first contract success
- Sikorsky Sponsors Educational Scholarship through the MedEvac
- Waypoint Receives Innovation Award in Tianjin
- UK Aviation Services becomes a Sikorsky S76 Customer Support Center
- DRF retains Magdeburg contract with six year extension
- Columbus Police marks 45 years flying MD Helicopters
- Hamilton County Sheriff receives 530F