Successful integration and testing of the new Transition to Hover feature has now been completed in the AS332L/L1 Super Puma helicopter. As part of a new software change for the Universal Avionics Flight Management System (FMS), Transition to Hover is a must-have feature for any AS332L/L1 crew engaged in overwater SAR operations, where the helicopter must be brought to a position to allow for winch operations.
The Transition to Hover feature allows pilots to mark a target, and the FMS provides an automatic downwind leg with a course reversal. This positions the helicopter to a point where the CDV-155 can perform the transition down and deceleration to a stable hover downwind of the target. Transition to Hover allows a hands-free operation for the crew, allowing them to focus on other mission critical tactics.
“This is an important addition to the FMS/Multi-Missions Management System (MMMS) SAR capabilities,” said Grady Dees, Universal Avionics Director of Technical Sales. “The Mark-on-Target can be activated during any MMMS operation, including during automatic search patterns,” he added. “Just a single pilot action after MarkOn-Target allows the automatic procedure to be executed.”
The flight testing in Stavanger, Norway was accomplished on a military helicopter with Heli-One as part of an AS332L/L1 modernization program currently underway.
“The Transition to Hover feature is a valuable tool for crews and can heavily benefit search and rescue missions,” said Anthony DiNota, President, Heli-One. “This solution was developed by Universal Avionics as they continue to enhance their flight management systems, adding great mission value for operators. We are pleased to collaborate with them and to work with our customers to bring these solutions to operational capability.”
To learn more, visit Universal Avionics booth number 9149 or Heli-One booth number 2608 during the Helicopter Association International’s (HAI) 2017 Heli-Expo.
- Sikorsky presents $28,000 to Patient AirLift Services
- HeliOffshore Southeast Asia group meets in Bangkok to review safety work
- HAI announces W.A. “Dub” Blessing Flight Instructor of the Year Award winner
- Airbus fly image processing system on H225 testbed
- Sikorsky Delivers Black Hawks to the LA County Fire Department
- HAI announces Airbus Golden Hour Award winner
- Airbus open new Le Bourget facility, including rotor blade production line
- Boeing to Modernize Six Netherlands CH-47F Chinooks
- HeliOffshore looks back on 2017’s enhancements of offshore safety
- Bell delivers 20th EMS configured B429
- Airbus Helicopters CEO to move to Commercial Aircraft division
- Arizona National Guard may lose last four Apaches
- Philippine Air Force to Acquire 24 Attack Helicopters
- Wiking Helikopter welcomes second H145 to Jade Weser Airport
- Rostec Signs an Agreement to Promote Helicopters in South-East Asia
- Aurora Demonstrates Fully Autonomous Helicopter
- Airbus promotes carbon content in colour scheme of third H160 prototype
- Falcon Aviation earns IS-BAH Accreditation
- Northland Rescue Helicopter and Fire and Emergency New Zealand Team Up
- South Korea conducts AH-64 missile drills