Astronautics Corporation of America’s new RoadRunner electronic flight instrument (EFI) for helicopters is advancing to Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) approval and the marketplace.
The RoadRunner EFI—announced during the 2016 HAI HELI-EXPO—is a form-fit-function upgrade for helicopters from electromechanical instruments and legacy EFIs to modern digital displays. The EFI provides operators enhanced safety, decreased operating costs, weight reduction, and minimal downtime for installation.
The EFI display system includes expanded flight safety capabilities with an internal Helicopter Terrain Awareness and Warning System (HTAWS) and Synthetic Vision System (SVS), which provides a real-time, three-dimensional rendering of the terrain in front of the helicopter.
Astronautics will begin flight trails for the new EFI in early April with STC approval expected later this year.
Dealer networks have been established with several companies in support of the RoadRunner EFI, including Aerotec, Globavia, Kitchener Aero, Southeast Aerospace, Trine Aero, and Vector Aerospace. The authorized dealers will sell and install the EFI to operators as well as serve as authorized support centers.
Vector Aerospace will display a RoadRunner EFI unit on its HELI-EXPO exhibit (booth #1612) as part of the instrument panel in an Airbus AStar helicopter.
“The RoadRunner EFI will provide helicopter operators the exceptional functionality and reliability that they need,” said Astronautics Vice President of Business Development and Product Strategy Dan Ryan. “Every day we are getting closer to bringing this advanced display system upgrade to the marketplace.”
RoadRunner EFI builds upon Astronautics’ history of providing the most reliable units in the industry, fully certified for the demanding helicopter environment.
- Sikorsky presents $28,000 to Patient AirLift Services
- HeliOffshore Southeast Asia group meets in Bangkok to review safety work
- HAI announces W.A. “Dub” Blessing Flight Instructor of the Year Award winner
- Airbus fly image processing system on H225 testbed
- Sikorsky Delivers Black Hawks to the LA County Fire Department
- HAI announces Airbus Golden Hour Award winner
- Airbus open new Le Bourget facility, including rotor blade production line
- Boeing to Modernize Six Netherlands CH-47F Chinooks
- HeliOffshore looks back on 2017’s enhancements of offshore safety
- Bell delivers 20th EMS configured B429
- Airbus Helicopters CEO to move to Commercial Aircraft division
- Arizona National Guard may lose last four Apaches
- Philippine Air Force to Acquire 24 Attack Helicopters
- Wiking Helikopter welcomes second H145 to Jade Weser Airport
- Rostec Signs an Agreement to Promote Helicopters in South-East Asia
- Aurora Demonstrates Fully Autonomous Helicopter
- Airbus promotes carbon content in colour scheme of third H160 prototype
- Falcon Aviation earns IS-BAH Accreditation
- Northland Rescue Helicopter and Fire and Emergency New Zealand Team Up
- South Korea conducts AH-64 missile drills