Operating just south of the polar circle, the helicopter ambulance (HEMS) crew at Lycksele Airport face severe weather conditions every day. They recently chose to upgrade their equipment with the AUK Protection G1 flight suit. “It’s outstanding, the best flight suit I’ve worn in my career”, says pilot Lars-Göran Falk.
This Babcock Scandinavian Air Ambulance (BSAA) station is one of some thirteen operative bases spread across the nordics. Servicing an area of roughly 55.000 km2 in the vast and scarcely populated northern woodlands, the Lycksele station is a crucial part of the local civil infrastructure.
Preferring a two-pilot system in which three aircrews alternate in crewing an AS365 N2 Dauphin, alongside a dozen medical specialists. Together they uphold a 15 minute response time and perform about 700 missions per year.
The work load is quite evenly split between primary emergency missions and intensive care transports between the regional hospitals. In vast and depopulated woodlands like this, a reliable HEMS service is a crucial part of civil infrastructure.
“The best part about this job is the people you get to work with. They all have a strong personal commitment for what they do, which creates a very special atmosphere”, says Lars-Göran Falk, Pilot with 33 years of experience.
New ride, new gear
Although highly regarded for its smooth running and apt flying characteristics, the time has come for the AS365 N2 to go. It will be replaced by the new Augusta Westland AW169 within shortly.
A slightly lesser upgrade is already in place. The crew recently chose to opt for the AUK Protection G1 flight suit, and they are more than happy about it.
“It gives me the same feeling as when I put on my favorite trekking gear to go hiking” says Lars-Göran. “This flight suit is just outstanding, the best I’ve worn in my career”.
Quick facts: Babcock Scandinavian Air Ambulance (BSAA)
With its thirteen operative and several backup bases spread across Sweden and Finland, BSAA is one of the largest air ambulance operators in the Nordics. www.airamb.se
Quick facts: AUK Protection
AUK Protection is an initiative to further the standard of personal protective equipment for aircrews via user-centered design, premium materials and scientific research. It was founded in 2012 by active helicopter pilots.
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance starts work on new base
- BRS Aerospace Addressing Urban eVTOL Parachute Recovery Systems
- IMT Vislink and K2 Unmanned Systems launch law enforcement drone
- Med-Trans Opens New AeroCare Base
- LA Tour Company Announces New Tour Packages For Summer
- Sikorsky and Canada’s DND Receive AHS International Award
- AACUS Makes First Operational Cargo Delivery to US Marines
- Life Link III Opens New 24/7 Air Medical Helicopter Base in Wisconsin
- CareFlight appoints new CEO
- Spirit Delivers 5th CH-53K System Demonstration Test Article
- HeliOffshore appoints Executive Assistant
- Merlin Technology awarded patent for helicopter emergency collective actuator
- L-3 Communications awarded $42M contract for TH-57 fleet logistics services
- 920th Rescue Wing receives Power and Vigilance Award
- Metro delivers H125 to Jujuy Province
- Air Zermatt celebrates 50 years of operations with B429 delivery
- Safran made two senior management appointments
- Autonomous Helicopter Technology Wins Another Major Award
- The Bell Air Taxi Takes Uber Elevate Attendees For A Ride
- Bell V-280 makes first cruise mode flight