Operating just south of the polar circle, the helicopter ambulance (HEMS) crew at Lycksele Airport face severe weather conditions every day. They recently chose to upgrade their equipment with the AUK Protection G1 flight suit. “It’s outstanding, the best flight suit I’ve worn in my career”, says pilot Lars-Göran Falk.
This Babcock Scandinavian Air Ambulance (BSAA) station is one of some thirteen operative bases spread across the nordics. Servicing an area of roughly 55.000 km2 in the vast and scarcely populated northern woodlands, the Lycksele station is a crucial part of the local civil infrastructure.
Preferring a two-pilot system in which three aircrews alternate in crewing an AS365 N2 Dauphin, alongside a dozen medical specialists. Together they uphold a 15 minute response time and perform about 700 missions per year.
The work load is quite evenly split between primary emergency missions and intensive care transports between the regional hospitals. In vast and depopulated woodlands like this, a reliable HEMS service is a crucial part of civil infrastructure.
“The best part about this job is the people you get to work with. They all have a strong personal commitment for what they do, which creates a very special atmosphere”, says Lars-Göran Falk, Pilot with 33 years of experience.
New ride, new gear
Although highly regarded for its smooth running and apt flying characteristics, the time has come for the AS365 N2 to go. It will be replaced by the new Augusta Westland AW169 within shortly.
A slightly lesser upgrade is already in place. The crew recently chose to opt for the AUK Protection G1 flight suit, and they are more than happy about it.
“It gives me the same feeling as when I put on my favorite trekking gear to go hiking” says Lars-Göran. “This flight suit is just outstanding, the best I’ve worn in my career”.
Quick facts: Babcock Scandinavian Air Ambulance (BSAA)
With its thirteen operative and several backup bases spread across Sweden and Finland, BSAA is one of the largest air ambulance operators in the Nordics. www.airamb.se
Quick facts: AUK Protection
AUK Protection is an initiative to further the standard of personal protective equipment for aircrews via user-centered design, premium materials and scientific research. It was founded in 2012 by active helicopter pilots.
- SAFE Structure to launch combined turbine stand and container
- Possible Foreign US Military Sale to Sweden of Patriot Configuration-3
- Blue Sky Network at HAI Heli-Expo 2018
- Foreign US Military Sale to Kuwait of King Air 350ER
- Twirly Birds Announce the 2018 Les Morris Award Recipient
- Precision and Honeywell sign agreement
- Marines’ Self-Flying Helicopter Kit a Finalist for Top Aviation Award
- Garmin® introduces the G500H TXi
- ITT Enidine Announces New Flight-Critical Components
- HeliOffshore Appoints New Membership Manager
- Bell Helicopter Rebrands
- EASA publishes the first Opinion on safe drone operations
- Robinson Introduces Two Garmin G500H TXi Displays
- Pilot Recruitment: The HeliSpeed ‘Gig Economy’
- Bristow Group Announces Private Offering
- EASA approves Kopter as Design Organisation
- Airbus H160 arrives in US for Heli-Expo and sales tour
- Swiss Air Ambulance helped 29 patients per day throughout 2017
- Twirly Birds Announce Annual Meeting in Las Vegas
- First Sikorsky Combat Rescue Helicopter Enters Final Assembly