German operator Motorflug has commenced operations this week on the military training contract at the Buckeburg base. Motorflug were awarded the contract in December 2016 after successfully bidding with six Bell 206 JetRangers.
After the German military made the decision to discontinue using Bo105s, they needed a basic training helicopter, and most basic level aircraft in the fleet – the EC135 / EC635 – is understood to have been too complex for ab initio pilots. The Bo105 completed 1,387,913 flight hours over 43 years from a fleet of 212 helicopters, but was based largely on 1970s technology. The tender required particular training procedures, including autorotations to the ground.
The new contract is for four years, and there is an expectation of a total of 15,400 flight hours for the fleet across that period – this equates to approximately 650 hours per aircraft per year. Motorflug will be maintaining the fleet at their base at Achum. The first of the six was delivered to Buckeburg last week and the others are going through some avionics work so they are all at the same standard.
Motorflug have been allocated the six registrations D-HMFA to D-HMFF as follows
The full German name of this unit is Internationales Hubschrauberausbildungszentrum, which gets abbreviated to either IntHubschrAusbZ, or IHAZ. This translates as International Helicopter Training Centre.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
Photo – Bundeswehr / IHAZ (Alexander Bozic)
- Bell 206 production finally stops later in 2017
- Able Delivers 100th Flight Deck Upgrade for Air Evac Lifeteam
- Air Evac Adds Seven Frasca Bell 206/407 Advanced Aviation Training Devices
- Bluedrop to deliver Bell 206 Level 7 FTD to Canadian military
- Bell and Aerospace to work together in Canada on product availability
- State Pilot Steals Helicopter Blades
- RAMM Frameless Seat Cushions approved by Transport Canada
- Orange County Receives Bell 206
- Gama Aviation awarded EASA STC for Garmin G500H EFIS in Bell 206 and 407
- Court orders Choppair to pay $200 000 to pilot involved in crash
- LAPD selects Cobham RT-7000 Tactical Radio
- UK – Elite Helicopters to open second base
- Argentine military finally confirms purchase of 20 AB206s
- 21-May-16 C-GSHX Bell 206L4 North West Territories, Canada
- L-3 Vertex Aerospace awarded another $80M to support US Navy TH-57 fleet
- 04-May-16 C-GOPK Bell 206B Fort St James, Canada
- Outerlink get FAA STC approval for integrated broadband satcom system on Bell 206L and 407
- First customer installation and flight of VHA 206B Main Rotor Blades completed
- Customer Advantage Plans from Bell to launch in Europe with Heli Charter
- 25-Mar-16 VH-WHU Bell 206B Mackay, Australia (1F)