Family and friends sat in awe as AH-1Z Vipers and UH-1Y Hueys ripped through the sky with the sound of rotors and machine gun fire.
Marines with Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron (HMLA) 369 “Gunfighters” held a family day in celebration of their 45th Anniversary at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California, April 1.
The unit held this event to showcase the aircraft and equipment as well as the hard work and dedication of the Marines.
“Events like these show the Marines in the squadron what all of the hard work they do is for,” said 1st Lt. James Turner, a pilot and a logistics officer with HMLA-369. “Often times, the maintainers put a lot of time into making sure these birds can fly but they never get to see them employed.”
Marines with the squadron conducted a live fire demonstration with two AH-1Z Vipers and two UH-1Y Hueys for members of the Gunfighter family.
“Conducting live-fire demonstrations allows the families to see what the Marines do every day,” said Capt. Daniel Sprott, a pilot with HMLA-369. “They see us leave early in the morning in our uniform but they don’t really understand what we do while we’re at work.”
The squadron also invited Gunfighter veterans to celebrate the 45th anniversary and to observe how the squadron has progressed over the years, said Turner.
Marine Attack Helicopter Squadron (HMA) 369 activated on April 1, 1972, at Marine Corps Air Station Futenma in Okinawa, Japan, and has participated in operations since the Vietnam War. The squadron was relocated to MCAS Camp Pendleton in April 1977. The squadron redesignated as HMLA-369 in the fall of 1987.
Since that time, the Gunfighters have been involved in operations in Kuwait, Somolia, Iraq and Afghanistan.
“It was great to see all the past Gunfighters, come out and still be proud to call themselves Gunfighters,” said Turner. “It really demonstrated part of the heritage that we all have stepped into by being a part of this squadron.”
- Mexico – MH-60R Multi-Mission Helicopters
- Elbit Systems to Showcase a Modular Mission Helicopters Package
- New Trustee for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Helicentre Announces 2019 US FAA CPL(H) Scholarship
- ARSA Supports Effort to Increase Part 147 School Flexibility
- EASA go to AERO 2018 with vision for the future of GA
- Rheinmetall Group and Sikorsky will lead in-service support for the CH-53K
- DRF upgrades Christoph 47 base from BK117 to H145
- Western Australian Police start process to replace ageing BK117
- New operator launches in Fiji with a Bell 212
- Philippines National Police receives first of three Bell 429s
- Quantum3D Awarded Contract by AVC Defense
- First Utility H145 in US delivered to San Diego Gas & Electric
- SAFE Structure sells Nassau County Police with Bell 429 maintenance stands
- Safran signs by-the-hour support contracts with Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopters and Rainier Heli International
- Lockheed Chairman, President and CEO receives 2018 Edison Achievement Award
- The Air Ambulance Service welcomes CQC report
- Leonardo demonstrates its AW159 to Malaysian Armed Forces
- ARA Flugrettung and ARBÖ present new helicopters and cooperation
- Russian Helicopters delivers two ship-based Ka-226T