The BK117 D-2 was developed jointly with European company Airbus Helicopters Deutschland GmbH. This new model retains the features offered by the previous BK117 C-2 that earned it high marks, such as the wide clamshell doors at the rear which enable easy loading and unloading of long stretchers and so forth, and a design that is compact overall while offering a spacious interior cabin to facilitate medical procedures. The D-2 also offers some novel features, including a new computer-controlled engine, cutting-edge integrated instruments and a new ducted-fan design for the tail rotor, which boost high-altitude performance, reduce pilot workload and enable the quietest operation in this helicopter’s class.
The BK117 is a medium-sized, twin-engine helicopter used for various purposes including emergency medical services, personnel and cargo transport, firefighting, disaster relief, law enforcement and broadcasting. Following delivery of the first model in 1983, this domestically produced helicopter has been continually improved over the years, and thanks to the aircraft’s outstanding technological strengths and high reliability, Kawasaki has successfully delivered 172 units as of March 10, 2017. Until today, a total of more than 1,300 BK117/EC145 helicopters have been delivered worldwide, combining deliveries made by Airbus Helicopters, Kawasaki’s development and manufacturing partner.
Moving forward, Kawasaki will actively pursue sales of the H145//BK117 D-2 based on its outstanding technical strengths and high reliability as well as the thoroughgoing support framework only possible with domestically produced products.
- Air Alderney prepares for EC155 scheduled services
- First Bell 505 delivered to Mexico
- EASA certifies Safran Arriel 2H on Avicopter AC312E
- EASA Management Board re-elects Executive Director
- VR-Technologies of Russian Helicopters start tests of VRT300 UAV
- AHS Rebrands as “The Vertical Flight Society”
- Rostec to create VRT500 prototype by the end of 2019
- Safran Ardiden 3C obtains EASA type certification
- Virginia State Police Honour Late Trooper
- Mexico – MH-60R Multi-Mission Helicopters
- Elbit Systems to Showcase a Modular Mission Helicopters Package
- New Trustee for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Helicentre Announces 2019 US FAA CPL(H) Scholarship
- ARSA Supports Effort to Increase Part 147 School Flexibility
- EASA go to AERO 2018 with vision for the future of GA
- Rheinmetall Group and Sikorsky will lead in-service support for the CH-53K
- DRF upgrades Christoph 47 base from BK117 to H145
- Western Australian Police start process to replace ageing BK117
- New operator launches in Fiji with a Bell 212
- Philippines National Police receives first of three Bell 429s