From early May, the south-west coast of Scotland will see a new Coastguard search and rescue helicopter in the skies.
The new Leonardo AW189 helicopter is the first of two AW189s that will operate from the Coastguard base at Prestwick Airport. It will spend the next few months flying in the area on training missions before it starts operational duties from July 2017. Search and rescue work at Prestwick will, in the meantime, continue to be fulfilled by two Coastguard Sikorsky S-92 helicopters which have been stationed at Prestwick while the new AW189s were put through their paces.
Captain Craig Sweeney, Chief Pilot at Prestwick, said: “It is a huge privilege for my crews and I to introduce the new AW189 aircraft into search and rescue operations. The aircraft is state of the art and has the agility and flexibility to respond to the wide spectrum of search and rescue taskings within our operating area. As always, we will make every effort to minimise noise disturbance from our helicopters on the local community, but ask you to please bear with us during this short period while the crews undergo essential training on the new aircraft.”
The new AW189 helicopters will be registered as G-MCGT and G-MCGR and are operated by Bristow Helicopters Limited on behalf of the Maritime & Coastguard Agency.
- Helitech to change name as expo adapts to changing market
- Kopter announces new distributor for the Nordic countries
- CHC Australia Announces Australian Apprentices
- Competitive boost and enhanced operational capabilities for H145
- MRO software providers team up with Airbus
- SAF expands fleet
- Bell launches certified training facilities
- Waypoint Delivers One H145 Helicopter to Los Andes
- Leonardo expands helicopter maintenance and repair services in Europe
- EuroTec Gains Approval for EC130/H130 Main Battery Kit
- DRF Luftrettung to expand its H145 fleet
- New extended Support-By-the-Hour range
- Royal Dutch Touring Club ANWB and Airbus sign for six H135s
- Safran introduces brand-new customer portal
- Helitrans expands H125 fleet
- Specialist Aviation Services ranked ‘Excellent’
- Airbus racer high-speed demonstrator passes preliminary design review milestone
- Kopter announces a first firm order with SAS from Malaysia
- Nearly 550 rotorcraft now sharing data with Airbus
- Heli-One to Install Search and Rescue Cabin Configuration for H225s