From early May, the south-west coast of Scotland will see a new Coastguard search and rescue helicopter in the skies.
The new Leonardo AW189 helicopter is the first of two AW189s that will operate from the Coastguard base at Prestwick Airport. It will spend the next few months flying in the area on training missions before it starts operational duties from July 2017. Search and rescue work at Prestwick will, in the meantime, continue to be fulfilled by two Coastguard Sikorsky S-92 helicopters which have been stationed at Prestwick while the new AW189s were put through their paces.
Captain Craig Sweeney, Chief Pilot at Prestwick, said: “It is a huge privilege for my crews and I to introduce the new AW189 aircraft into search and rescue operations. The aircraft is state of the art and has the agility and flexibility to respond to the wide spectrum of search and rescue taskings within our operating area. As always, we will make every effort to minimise noise disturbance from our helicopters on the local community, but ask you to please bear with us during this short period while the crews undergo essential training on the new aircraft.”
The new AW189 helicopters will be registered as G-MCGT and G-MCGR and are operated by Bristow Helicopters Limited on behalf of the Maritime & Coastguard Agency.
- Lockheed awarded $24M contract for MH-60 Electronics Engineering
- Bell-Boeing awarded $18M contract for V-22 cockpit Engine Modification
- Rolls-Royce awarded $115M contract for Production of AE1107C V-22 Engines
- Bell-Boeing awarded $40M contract for Procurement of 4 MV-22 Components
- Merlin Technology awarded patent for Rotorcraft autopilot and methods
- Airbus awarded patent for Rotor drive system
- Aviation Professional Services Liability Insurance by Global
- Lincs and Notts Air Ambulance to carry blood
- Final Flight of OH-58D ‘Kiowa Warrior’
- Bristow To Present At The 2017 Johnson Rice Energy Conference
- 11 year North Sea windfarm contract placed for UK-based AW139 and AW169s
- Life Link III medical director wins national award
- Four bidders for Polish attack helicopter order
- Helitech International Insight Seminar Speaker line-up revealed
- Bell to deliver B505s to Eagle Copters
- Plans Finalized for WAI Girls in Aviation Day
- REACH to place new H125 in Montana
- Terma install survivability kit on Dutch NH90 fleet
- Bristow Norway wins five year contracts for two S92s
- Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for New Tunnelton Helipad