From early May, the south-west coast of Scotland will see a new Coastguard search and rescue helicopter in the skies.
The new Leonardo AW189 helicopter is the first of two AW189s that will operate from the Coastguard base at Prestwick Airport. It will spend the next few months flying in the area on training missions before it starts operational duties from July 2017. Search and rescue work at Prestwick will, in the meantime, continue to be fulfilled by two Coastguard Sikorsky S-92 helicopters which have been stationed at Prestwick while the new AW189s were put through their paces.
Captain Craig Sweeney, Chief Pilot at Prestwick, said: “It is a huge privilege for my crews and I to introduce the new AW189 aircraft into search and rescue operations. The aircraft is state of the art and has the agility and flexibility to respond to the wide spectrum of search and rescue taskings within our operating area. As always, we will make every effort to minimise noise disturbance from our helicopters on the local community, but ask you to please bear with us during this short period while the crews undergo essential training on the new aircraft.”
The new AW189 helicopters will be registered as G-MCGT and G-MCGR and are operated by Bristow Helicopters Limited on behalf of the Maritime & Coastguard Agency.
- R66 now has lithium-ion battery option
- Kaman Signs Multi-Year Contract with Sikorsky
- ForeFlight Introduces New Dual-Band ADS-B Receiver
- CHC Group Announces New Board of Managers
- Canada certifies airbus H145
- Horizon signs training agreement with Saudi Bell dealer
- Moscow Zhukovsky Airport adds helicopter facility
- Babcock and RACQ CQ Rescue renew contract
- Erickson achieves 100% effectiveness in Chilean firefighting
- Astronics Max-Viz Systems collaborating with FAA for a research study
- Air BP appoints Chief Commercial Officer
- HAI opens nominations for Salute to Excellence for Heli-Expo 2018
- Two UK police forces join to form operational drone unit
- Boeing awarded $27M contract for Preparation of Block 2 MH-47G
- Airbus awarded $35M contract for support of the UH-72 Lakota
- Bird’s Eye View Helicopters Launches NE & NY Charter Services
- More than 103 WAI Scholarships Now Ready for Applications
- CSAGA chooses Ramco
- HRH The Princess Royal Visits Bristow
- HeliOffshore collaborates on EC225 safety case