Kaman Corporation (NYSE:KAMN) announced today that its Aerosystems division will continue production of the commercial K-MAX® heavy-lift utility helicopter. The company resumed K-MAX® production in 2015 after a more than decade long hiatus with an initial commitment to build at least ten new aircraft.
“Continued demand and interest in the capabilities of the K-MAX® have provided us the confidence to extend production into 2019 at a minimum. This is great news for operators who need the K-MAX® to perform their repetitive lift missions cost effectively. Our team has done a great job assessing the global market and working with potential and existing customers to secure additional orders for our K-MAX® helicopter,” said Greg Steiner, President, Kaman Aerospace Group.
K-MAX® aircraft are manufactured in the company’s North American facilities in Jacksonville, Florida and Bloomfield, Connecticut. Orders for new K-MAX® aircraft have thus far come from China, Europe and North America.
K-MAX® aircraft are used around the world for firefighting, logging, powerline construction and other missions requiring repetitive aerial lift capabilities. The U.S. Marine Corps maintains two unmanned K-MAX® aircraft developed with Lockheed Martin. These aircraft successfully supported the U.S. Marine Corps in Afghanistan for thirty-three months from 2011-2014 carrying more than 4.5 million pounds of cargo. Additional unmanned firefighting and humanitarian missions for K-MAX® are also being developed and tested.
Development of the K-MAX® was led by Kaman founder and former CEO, aviation pioneer Charles H. Kaman, and received Federal Aviation Administration certification in 1994. The single-engine, single-seat K-MAX® is a rugged low-maintenance aircraft that features a counter-rotating rotor system and is optimized for external load operations and designed specifically for vertical reference flight. The aircraft can lift up to 6,000 pounds (2,722 kg).
The company will have representatives at the Paris Air Show (June 19-22) to discuss sales from the extended production run. Our team will be available to answer any questions relative to the K-MAX® helicopter and Kaman’s other products and services at the Kaman Stand D118, Hall 3.
- Prabhu Helicopter adds new Robinson R66 chopper to its fleet
- MD Helicopters building fifth MD520N in eight years
- ALEA Releases Standards for Public Safety sUAS Programs
- HeliOffshore updates HUMS Best Practice Guidelines
- Russian Helicopters working on new Mi-26 upgrade
- LOM PRAHA TRADE a.s. and Enstrom Helicopter sign Contract
- First Mi-28UB helicopters ready to be transferred
- First helicopter deck landing for RFA Tidespring
- Further speakers announced for UK EMS conference
- Russian Helicopter hold promotional event in Mexico
- FlightSafety promotes Scott Goodwin
- XTI reports more orders for VTOL TriFan 600 from NBAA Conference
- Trakka Systems announces EASA certification for B212 and B412
- Safran appoints Executive Vice-President of Operations
- Former Sikorsky and Schweizer facility close to being sold
- Philippine telecom company commercialises flight dept
- ALEA Public Safety Drone Expo Opens in New Orleans
- ACR Electronics Announces Acquisition of SKYTRAC by Drew Marine
- Metro Aviation celebrates 35 years of operation
- Safran appoints new Executive Vice-President of Programs