A new Clinical Best Practice Guidance document has been issued by the Association of Air Ambulances (AAA) on ‘Advanced analgesia and sedation’ to promote best practice in advanced prehospital care, delivered by UK Helicopter Emergency Medical Services (HEMS).
The new Best Practice Guide joined three other Guides being republished following updates; ‘Defibrillation and Pacing during Aeromedical transport’, ‘Post Return of Spontaneous Circulation (ROSC) Care’ and ‘Photography and Video Imagery’. All four documents were developed and published by the AAA’s Clinical subcommittee in May 2017 led by Dr Gareth Davies Medical Director of London’s Air Ambulance.
Each of the documents aim to provide an introduction, guidance and treatment recommendations for air ambulances, enabling them to adopt best practice in the topics they cover. Best Practice Guides issued by the AAA draw on the experience of clinicians working on helicopters around the whole of the UK and form a bench mark for excellent care.
Dr Gareth Davies, Chair of the AAA Clinical Subcommittee said:
“Improving patient outcomes through shared knowledge is essential and each of the Best Practice Guidance documents published by the AAA’s Clinical Subcommittee aims to share knowledge and promote best practice. Pain control and sedation are fundamental elements of patient care but in the complex environment can easily go wrong, hopefully this document will encourage safe and effective practices around the UK.
Gareth continued: “The AAA Best Practice Guides are reviewed and updated on an annual basis. The committee has an amazing amount of talent and experience around the table which means the documents are distillations of many years of experience taking the best bits from services all over the UK. These latest guides will now be added to growing list of best practice guides available to the HEMS community”
- DRF retains Magdeburg contract with six year extension
- Columbus Police marks 45 years flying MD Helicopters
- Hamilton County Sheriff receives 530F
- IAI-ELTA to provide Helicopter SATCOM Network Systems to Key Customer
- USAIG Celebrates 40 Years of Providing Safety Posters to the Aviation Industry
- DRF Luftrettung appoints new Chairman
- GNAAS Looks to New Life Saving Techniques
- Safran marketing new Aneto engine to HAL
- Uber-like helicopter taxi launches in Tokyo
- Indian Government starts sale of majority of Pawan Hans
- 3rd H160 prototype joins the flight test campaign
- Air Medical Helicopters Fly with 1,000 Donaldson IBFs
- FAA approves B206 and B407 sim from Ryan-Precision JV
- Russian Helicopters and United Helicopters sign contracts
- Lockheed Delivering Next-Generation Apache Sensor Systems
- VNH South receives award from JVPC
- OEAMTC Air Rescue and Reiser Simulation and Training sign LOI
- US Navy orders additional APKWS rocket guidance kits
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance holds topping out ceremony on new air base
- Med-Trans Director Earns AAMS Jim Charlson Safety Award