Israel’s Ministry of Defense has signed an agreement with Sikorsky, a Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) company, to supply spare parts and associated engineering services in support of the CH-53D heavy lift helicopters operated by the Israeli Air Force (IAF) since 1969. Intended for a duration of seven years, the comprehensive program will allow Sikorsky to manage and source its supply chain for CH-53D parts that are either obsolete or in diminishing supply.
“This program will ensure that the IAF can overcome a growing shortage of hard-to-acquire components for its CH-53D fleet to help improve mission readiness well into the next decade, and thereby extend operational life beyond the half century mark,” said Bill Gostic, vice president of Sikorsky Global Military Systems & Services. “Sikorsky will work across its supply chain to manufacture dozens of critical and low demand components that we or our suppliers have stopped making, with the added guarantees of supply quantity, consistency of quality, and price stability.”
Sikorsky will work with its U.S. supplier base to produce more than 80 distinct part numbers to Sikorsky quality standards into the mid-2020s. Many of the parts listed in the contract are found in the dynamic sections of the aircraft, such as the gearbox and transmission.
Israel acquired its fleet of two engine CH-53D heavy lift helicopters in 1969 and early 1970s. Designated Yas’ur by the Israeli Air Force, the helicopters have carried troops and heavy equipment into battle zones, served in a casualty evacuation role, and even taken part in electronic warfare missions. The Israeli Air Force remains the only D model operator in the world, although the model is similar in design to the CH-53G aircraft still operated by the German Air Force.
- Japan Coast Guard signs HCare Smart for its H225 fleet
- Aeronautical Accessories Focused on Expanding Bell 505 Accessory Offerings
- CAAS, EASA and Airbus collaborate
- Boeing awarded $264M contract for MH-47 Support Services
- Magpas Air Ambulance selects AW169 to replace MD Explorer
- Sloane Helicopters opens up Irish corporate market with AW109 GrandNew sale
- Bell 429 Celebrates over 330 000 hours of operation
- CAE launches CAE 700MR Series flight training device
- NH90 Sea Lion starts Qualification phase
- Airbus hands over Empire Test Pilot School H125 to QinetiQ
- MD Helicopters creates MDHI Flight Training Academy
- GVH awarded EASA STC for H135 Aeromedical System
- FAA approves all-glass cockpit for MD530F
- CNC Technologies selected to Deploy Airborne Mission Suites for Agency’s New Airbus H125
- Boeing Receives Contract for Four Special Operations Chinooks
- Bristow opens new SAR base at Lydd
- MD takes Hamilton County Sheriff MD530F to APSCON
- GVH selected to design hoist light for Boeing
- Metro delivers H125 to Broward County
- Safran Appoints Executive Vice-President of Engineering