MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI) announces successful completion of all FAA Type Inspection Authorization (TIA) requirements for certification of its first all-glass cockpit for the MD 600N. The MD 600N is the first of the company’s four (4) single-engine models to feature the Block 1 cockpit upgrade and complete TIA. With the successful completion of the TIA milestone, MDHI remains on track to receive FAA approval for a 600N Type Certificate amendment this summer.
MD Helicopters announced a comprehensive cockpit modernization effort at the 2017 HAI Heli-Expo in Dallas, Texas. Together with industry-leaders Aspen Avionics and Howell Instruments, MDHI’s Integrated Product Team was able to help secure TSO for the new cockpit components, paving the way for an accelerated review and approval process.
“It is a truly an exciting time at MD Helicopters,” said Craig Kitchen, Chief Commercial Officer for MD Helicopters. “Inspired by the vision of the CEO, our internal teams have never been more aligned or more focused on ensuring our operators fly not only the safest aircraft in their class, but the most advanced.”
Concurrent to the MD 600N effort, MD Helicopters is also integrating the Block 1 cockpit into the MD 530F. FAA review and approval for a Type Certificate change for new 369FF models is expected later this summer.
MD Helicopters’ standard single-engine glass cockpit will feature:
- Howell Instruments Electronic Flight Instrument System
- Garmin G500 (GDU620) PFD/MFD
- Garmin GTN 650 Touchscreen NAV/COM/GPS
- L-3 ESI 500 Electronic Standby Instrument
Previously announced sales to Sapura Aero (MD 600N), Fresno County Sherriff’s Office (MD 530F), and Prince George’s County Police Department (MD 520N) will all be delivered with the Block 1 glass cockpit.
Mike Bartlett, Vice President of Product Engineering for MD Helicopters commented, “Professionalism, teamwork and subject matter expertise has been the cornerstone of this modernization effort. We have cultivated a genuine symbiotic relationship between our internal engineering, experimental flight test, and certification organizations, our industry partners, and the FAA that has played an integral role in expediting both the development and the certification effort for this production modification.”
“This was an aggressive schedule that demanded clear and open communication both internally and with the FAA,” said Richard Beausoleil, Director of Engineering Services for MD Helicopters, Inc. “We are pleased with how this program is progressing through FAA certification, and have benefitted significantly from our great working relationship with the FAA through every phase of this project.”
“Our single-engine operators will love the new cockpit,” Kitchen concludes. “Regardless of the mission, the Block 1 glass system is a safe, affordable solution that reduces pilot workload and improves overall operational efficiency in even the most demanding environments.”
All MDHI single engine Type Certificates – to include 600N, 369FF, 520N and 369E – are anticipated to meet all documentation, testing and FAA review requirements for Type Certificate amendment within 12-months.
- R66 now has lithium-ion battery option
- Kaman Signs Multi-Year Contract with Sikorsky
- ForeFlight Introduces New Dual-Band ADS-B Receiver
- CHC Group Announces New Board of Managers
- Canada certifies airbus H145
- Horizon signs training agreement with Saudi Bell dealer
- Moscow Zhukovsky Airport adds helicopter facility
- Babcock and RACQ CQ Rescue renew contract
- Erickson achieves 100% effectiveness in Chilean firefighting
- Astronics Max-Viz Systems collaborating with FAA for a research study
- Air BP appoints Chief Commercial Officer
- HAI opens nominations for Salute to Excellence for Heli-Expo 2018
- Two UK police forces join to form operational drone unit
- Boeing awarded $27M contract for Preparation of Block 2 MH-47G
- Airbus awarded $35M contract for support of the UH-72 Lakota
- Bird’s Eye View Helicopters Launches NE & NY Charter Services
- More than 103 WAI Scholarships Now Ready for Applications
- CSAGA chooses Ramco
- HRH The Princess Royal Visits Bristow
- HeliOffshore collaborates on EC225 safety case