HRH The Princess Royal visited the Bristow-operated HM Coastguard search and rescue (SAR) base at Lee-on-Solent on July 13, 2017, and the Coastguard’s technical training centre at Daedalus to mark 100 years of flying at the site.
Her Royal Highness was welcomed to the helicopter base by Vice Lord-Lieutenant Lindsay Fox and taken on a tour of the base by Director of Maritime Operations for the Maritime & Coastguard Agency Richard Parkes.
During her 40-minute visit, the Princess Royal was introduced to the Bristow duty crew: Captain James Lorraine, Senior First Officer Laura Hearnshaw, Winchman Paramedic Al Drummond, Winch Operator Chas Mc Donagh and Engineers Colin Pettit and Bob Herbert. She then toured the new AW189 helicopters to learn about the helicopters’ capabilities and ground-breaking technology, which are designed to undertake long-range, high endurance search and rescue missions in demanding operational and environmental conditions.
Her Royal Highness then had the opportunity to watch a cliff rescue class at the Daedalus multi-purpose training center – where the SAR teams are technically trained for mud, water, cliff and rope rescues.
“We were delighted to welcome HRH The Princess Royal to the Lee-on-Solent Coastguard helicopter base and HM Coastguard’s Daedalus Training Centre,” said Richard Parkes. “This was a brilliant opportunity for our helicopter crews and Coastguard Rescue Teams to showcase their dedication and skill, affirming that Her Majesty’s Coastguard, recognised as one of the best in the world, continues to deliver a remarkable search and rescue service.”
“HRH The Princess Royal was very knowledgeable about SAR and shared her views on the enduring Royal Navy requirement for rescue at sea,” said UK SAR Director Russell Torbet. “She was very impressed by our capabilities and that we had harnessed the military expertise through managed transition. She appeared to enjoy her time with the Bristow team and left with a very favourable impression of our professionalism and capability.”
- Sikorsky presents $28,000 to Patient AirLift Services
- HeliOffshore Southeast Asia group meets in Bangkok to review safety work
- HAI announces W.A. “Dub” Blessing Flight Instructor of the Year Award winner
- Airbus fly image processing system on H225 testbed
- Sikorsky Delivers Black Hawks to the LA County Fire Department
- HAI announces Airbus Golden Hour Award winner
- Airbus open new Le Bourget facility, including rotor blade production line
- Boeing to Modernize Six Netherlands CH-47F Chinooks
- HeliOffshore looks back on 2017’s enhancements of offshore safety
- Bell delivers 20th EMS configured B429
- Airbus Helicopters CEO to move to Commercial Aircraft division
- Arizona National Guard may lose last four Apaches
- Philippine Air Force to Acquire 24 Attack Helicopters
- Wiking Helikopter welcomes second H145 to Jade Weser Airport
- Rostec Signs an Agreement to Promote Helicopters in South-East Asia
- Aurora Demonstrates Fully Autonomous Helicopter
- Airbus promotes carbon content in colour scheme of third H160 prototype
- Falcon Aviation earns IS-BAH Accreditation
- Northland Rescue Helicopter and Fire and Emergency New Zealand Team Up
- South Korea conducts AH-64 missile drills