On 14 July 2017, Robinson Helicopter Company added the TB17 Lithium-ion battery to its R66 options. TB17 by True Blue Power, a division of Mid-Continent Instrument, offers substantial weight savings, improved starter performance and longer life.
At 16 lb., the TB17 is significantly lighter than the R66’s standard battery which weighs 42 lb. and the optional high-capacity battery which weighs 52 lb. Lithium-ion chemistry holds a higher charge voltage and provides a more constant discharge rate than lead-acid delivering consistent, more reliable turbine starts. The battery’s internal heater enhances functionality in cold temperatures as low as -40°C. Typical battery life is 8 years with minimal required maintenance (visual inspection and capacity check) every 2 years.
The TB17 battery passed rigorous manufacturer and FAA tests to ensure safety. A cockpit indicator warns the pilot if a battery fault is detected. During fault conditions, the battery automatically takes itself off-line. Built-in circuitry prevents overcharge and/or overheating, and the TB17’s advanced Nanophosphate® chemistry is much less susceptible to thermal runaway than many other Lithium-ion batteries.
- Sikorsky presents $28,000 to Patient AirLift Services
- HeliOffshore Southeast Asia group meets in Bangkok to review safety work
- HAI announces W.A. “Dub” Blessing Flight Instructor of the Year Award winner
- Airbus fly image processing system on H225 testbed
- Sikorsky Delivers Black Hawks to the LA County Fire Department
- HAI announces Airbus Golden Hour Award winner
- Airbus open new Le Bourget facility, including rotor blade production line
- Boeing to Modernize Six Netherlands CH-47F Chinooks
- HeliOffshore looks back on 2017’s enhancements of offshore safety
- Bell delivers 20th EMS configured B429
- Airbus Helicopters CEO to move to Commercial Aircraft division
- Arizona National Guard may lose last four Apaches
- Philippine Air Force to Acquire 24 Attack Helicopters
- Wiking Helikopter welcomes second H145 to Jade Weser Airport
- Rostec Signs an Agreement to Promote Helicopters in South-East Asia
- Aurora Demonstrates Fully Autonomous Helicopter
- Airbus promotes carbon content in colour scheme of third H160 prototype
- Falcon Aviation earns IS-BAH Accreditation
- Northland Rescue Helicopter and Fire and Emergency New Zealand Team Up
- South Korea conducts AH-64 missile drills