Helinet Aviation, a provider of aviation technology solutions to the law enforcement and public safety markets, announced today the acquisition of a Phoenix Ranger-LR unit for airborne applications. The company will be showcasing the device at the ALEA Expo in Reno, Nevada this week. Designed for the most advanced mapping, LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) measures distances by illuminating targets with a high-precision laser and interpreting the results from the reflected light.
The Phoenix Ranger-LR produces photorealistic 3D point cloud data collected efficiently over extensive regions, which for law enforcement purposes specifically, can provide greater context, awareness, and tactical accuracy. Currently, agencies typically use ground based LiDAR as a crime scene mapping technology for forensics. Aerial LiDAR from a drone or helicopter has proven to be efficient for larger, outdoor scenes as line-of-sight issues can restrict ground LiDAR scans from capturing the entire area. Using multiple scans requires stitching which can negatively impact resolution and accuracy. Airborne LiDAR produces data on everything within its massive swath with pinpoint accuracy, significantly reducing the need for stitching.
“Drone based LiDAR is another emerging tool for law enforcement to gather valuable information and tactically assess large areas,” said Helinet President & COO Jim McGowan. “We look forward to supporting agencies across the country with this newly acquired and powerful airborne technology.”
Additional benefits of aerial LiDAR for law enforcement include exposing unmapped trails hidden in remote backwoods, determining width, elevation, and length of roads, detecting micro topography hidden by vegetation, and gathering ground surface information affected by human activities.
Helinet’s technology group specializes in supplying turnkey mission system solutions and services. Helinet also supplies unequaled drone services and support through its accomplished field operations capability.
- ALEA Public Safety Drone Expo Opens in New Orleans
- ACR Electronics Announces Acquisition of SKYTRAC by Drew Marine
- Metro Aviation celebrates 35 years of operation
- Safran appoints new Executive Vice-President of Programs
- FAA and EASA Update Aviation Safety Agreement
- FAA issue exemption allowing ACSF UH-1 blades to fly
- Trakka announces Leonardo AW109 to feature SWE-400 QUAD
- Oceania Aviation completes first AS355 Max-Vis EVS install
- CHC SAR Team Awarded Commendation Award
- Worcestershire Royal Hospital helipad plans approval
- Palm Beach Helicopters installs TH22SM AATD from ELITE
- Nord Helikopter praises Auk protection suits
- Vector takes AS350 crash resistant fuel system to AMTC 2017
- DART Aerospace now accepting preorders for Bell 505 Bearpaws
- Oceania Aviation complete Pakistan Army Schweizer upgrade program
- Skytrac receives patent for bill-by-the-mile tracker
- Airbus Helicopters proudly supports AAMS Community Award Winners
- Helicopter Museum Co-hosts Main Line Airport Dedication
- Milestone Aviation Group Supports Indian Heligo’s Growth
- Airbus shows H130 and EC145 at AMTC 2017