Engineering and technology group SENER and Babcock, joint venture partners, presented the fourth upgraded Agusta Bell 212 (AB212) to the Spanish Ministry of Defense as part of a project for extending the lifespan of AB-212 seven helicopters, which came into service in 1974, by at least 15 years.
A crew from the Spanish Navy’s Third Aircraft Squadron, the squadron head himself included, from Rota Naval Base (Cádiz, Spain) transferred the new helicopter by direct flight to their base. The helicopter will join the three already upgraded machines which are currently being used in operations to the Navy’s full satisfaction. The two remaining aircraft, along with the prototype which is being used for development and certification purposes, will be handed over between 2017 and 2018.
The upgrade of the AB212 helicopters, as well as full replacement of the electrical systems and replacing the analogue cockpit for a fully digitalized one, also includes new functionalities such as radar, GPS navigation, night vision system, and protection and self-defense systems etc., all of which are essential to effective operations in an ever more demanding national and international context. As a matter of fact, some of these helicopters upgraded by SENER-Babcock are aboard frigates that operate off the coast of Libya, participating in challenging missions and, according to the Spanish Navy itself, they are providing a very satisfactory response.
The upgrade, with SENER leading the design, integration, and engineering works, and Babcock charged with some of the design, the installation, and land and flight testing, as well as certification through the INTA (Instituto Nacional de Técnica Aeroespacial – National Institute of Aerospace Technology), means the upgraded AB212 can be operated without restrictions in controlled military or civil spaces and in compliance with all the requirements of the new regulations.
- 4 Key Helicopter Technologies That Will Save Lives
- Mid-Continent Named Authorized BendixKing Repair Partner
- Marine Corps Plans for Super UAS
- Charleston County Sheriff Replace Aging Bell
- DART Aerospace certifies lightweight Bell 505 Bearpaws
- MD Helicopters announces scholarship recipient
- Aero Products partners with Pall Aerospace
- StandardAero Announces Plans Expansion
- Voom’s helicopter commuting service launches in Mexico City
- Leonardo boosts international growth
- PHI Announces Appointment of new Director to Board of Directors
- AAMS Board of Directors – Open Call for Region 1 Director
- Dallas Airmotive reduces PW206C Engine Overhaul TAT
- Sloane Helicopters announced as new Penzance Heliport operator
- Enstrom 280FXs accepted by the Global Services and Solutions of Pakistan
- Airbus appoints new Distributor and Service Center in Turkey
- FX Helicopters Offers New Training Opportunities
- Dallas Airmotive celebrates two new Authorized Service Centers
- UNC helicopter now based at Nash UNC Health Care
- Program Executive Office for Aviation group is awarded