The National Police Air Service (NPAS) has for some time been reviewing options for an alternative future site to serve London and the South East of England. The need to find a new site has been driven by the leasing costs for the current NPAS London base at Lippitts Hill, Essex. Earlier this year, it was decided that the Lippitts Hill site should be sold and this placed further urgency on expediting this process.
The continuation of air support to the capital and beyond has involved the assessment of a number of potential locations for the future base.
Last night, NPAS took a proposal to the Cabinet meeting of Epping Forest District Council as a first step in the process toward achieving possible planning permission to build our new base at North Weald Airfield in Essex. At this meeting, the proposal was positively received and Councillors agreed to allow it to now move forward to the next stage; to seek planning permission for the build. If approval is granted later this year this proposal will be subject to final scrutiny by the NPAS National Board.
Speaking about this news; Chief Superintendent Tyron Joyce, Chief Operating Officer for the National Police Air Service said: “As part of our national network of 15 air bases, from which we provide 24/7/365 borderless air support to all 43 police forces across England and Wales, NPAS London is critical to our national operation. Securing a new site to seamlessly continue our operations is clearly a high priority for NPAS and one which we hope we are now a step closer to following the Epping Forest District Council Cabinet meeting yesterday.”
- Western Australian Police start process to replace ageing BK117
- New operator launches in Fiji with a Bell 212
- Philippines National Police receives first of three Bell 429s
- Quantum3D Awarded Contract by AVC Defense
- First Utility H145 in US delivered to San Diego Gas & Electric
- SAFE Structure sells Nassau County Police with Bell 429 maintenance stands
- Safran signs by-the-hour support contracts with Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopters and Rainier Heli International
- Lockheed Chairman, President and CEO receives 2018 Edison Achievement Award
- The Air Ambulance Service welcomes CQC report
- Leonardo demonstrates its AW159 to Malaysian Armed Forces
- ARA Flugrettung and ARBÖ present new helicopters and cooperation
- Russian Helicopters delivers two ship-based Ka-226T
- CHC Australia secures Search and Rescue Continuation with RAAF
- Pakistan continues helicopter fleet renewal with order for additional AW139s
- Guardian Flight appoints new VP of Base Operations
- DRF takeover of the RTH station for 20th time
- Nepal Army defends its decision over helicopter procurement process
- CHC Norway Wins Contract Extension with Aker BP
- Indian delegation to visit Kamov Design Bureau
- Columbia Helicopters to become the Total Logistics Support provider for GE Aviation