The U.S. Helicopter Safety Team has completed its comprehensive analysis of the root causes of fatal accidents and has developed 22 measurable safety enhancements aimed at reducing fatalities.
The 22 safety enhancements can be grouped into four categories:
- Competency Six safety enhancements
- IMC and Visibility Four safety enhancements (announced on Sept. 6)
- Loss of Control Five safety enhancements (announced on Sept. 11)
- Safety Management Seven safety enhancements (announced on Sept. 18)
Within the topic of Competency, the USHST will be working to implement these five safety enhancements (plus one more still in development). They encompass in flight and training actions.
- Development of Airman Certification Series for Rotorcraft
Action: Develop and publish the new Airman Certification System (ACS) Rotorcraft-Helicopter series to replace the current Practical Test Standards (PTS) for internal and external industry stakeholders for airman certification.
- Simulations for Safe Decision Making
Action: Increase the use of relevant simulation to rehearse at-risk scenarios to educate and to develop safe decision-making.
- Competency-Based Training and Assessments
Action: Provide guidance on improved initial helicopter pilot training to competency in the following areas: 1) aircraft performance and limitations; 2) in-flight power and energy management training, to include prevention and recovery, if required, from settling with insufficient power; 3) basic maneuvers not defined in current guidance but essential to positive aircraft control; 4) threat and error management; 5) mission planning; 6) aircraft systems; and 7) familiarity with the Pilot Operating Handbook.
- Make & Model Transition Training
Action: Improve make and model transition by ensuring familiarity and the understanding of new “model specific” equipment.
- Safety Culture and Professionalism
Action: Develop a definition of an effective safety culture that is more applicable and relatable to the day-to-day work of frontline helicopter professionals. Once developed, promote an understanding of this application-based definition to the helicopter community.
- Sikorsky presents $28,000 to Patient AirLift Services
- HeliOffshore Southeast Asia group meets in Bangkok to review safety work
- HAI announces W.A. “Dub” Blessing Flight Instructor of the Year Award winner
- Airbus fly image processing system on H225 testbed
- Sikorsky Delivers Black Hawks to the LA County Fire Department
- HAI announces Airbus Golden Hour Award winner
- Airbus open new Le Bourget facility, including rotor blade production line
- Boeing to Modernize Six Netherlands CH-47F Chinooks
- HeliOffshore looks back on 2017’s enhancements of offshore safety
- Bell delivers 20th EMS configured B429
- Airbus Helicopters CEO to move to Commercial Aircraft division
- Arizona National Guard may lose last four Apaches
- Philippine Air Force to Acquire 24 Attack Helicopters
- Wiking Helikopter welcomes second H145 to Jade Weser Airport
- Rostec Signs an Agreement to Promote Helicopters in South-East Asia
- Aurora Demonstrates Fully Autonomous Helicopter
- Airbus promotes carbon content in colour scheme of third H160 prototype
- Falcon Aviation earns IS-BAH Accreditation
- Northland Rescue Helicopter and Fire and Emergency New Zealand Team Up
- South Korea conducts AH-64 missile drills