The U.S. Helicopter Safety Team has completed its comprehensive analysis of the root causes of fatal accidents and has developed 22 measurable safety enhancements aimed at reducing fatalities.
The 22 safety enhancements can be grouped into four categories:
- Competency Six safety enhancements
- IMC and Visibility Four safety enhancements (announced on Sept. 6)
- Loss of Control Five safety enhancements (announced on Sept. 11)
- Safety Management Seven safety enhancements (announced on Sept. 18)
Within the topic of Competency, the USHST will be working to implement these five safety enhancements (plus one more still in development). They encompass in flight and training actions.
- Development of Airman Certification Series for Rotorcraft
Action: Develop and publish the new Airman Certification System (ACS) Rotorcraft-Helicopter series to replace the current Practical Test Standards (PTS) for internal and external industry stakeholders for airman certification.
- Simulations for Safe Decision Making
Action: Increase the use of relevant simulation to rehearse at-risk scenarios to educate and to develop safe decision-making.
- Competency-Based Training and Assessments
Action: Provide guidance on improved initial helicopter pilot training to competency in the following areas: 1) aircraft performance and limitations; 2) in-flight power and energy management training, to include prevention and recovery, if required, from settling with insufficient power; 3) basic maneuvers not defined in current guidance but essential to positive aircraft control; 4) threat and error management; 5) mission planning; 6) aircraft systems; and 7) familiarity with the Pilot Operating Handbook.
- Make & Model Transition Training
Action: Improve make and model transition by ensuring familiarity and the understanding of new “model specific” equipment.
- Safety Culture and Professionalism
Action: Develop a definition of an effective safety culture that is more applicable and relatable to the day-to-day work of frontline helicopter professionals. Once developed, promote an understanding of this application-based definition to the helicopter community.
- Rampart Helicopter Services aims to correct Colorado zoning violation
- Helipad Ceremony for Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Foundation
- Oceania Aviation appointed distributor for H125 maximum view kit
- Air Ambulance Chief Executive receives top honour
- WomenVenture Begins its Second Decade
- HAI expresses concerns about Ligado proposal
- South Carolina NG to help secure Mexican border
- Donaldson to develop AW169 IBF for Leonardo
- ASESA Selects Able as Exclusive Provider
- Meron Awarded Patent for Helicopter Transmission Test Rigs
- Macro Industries awarded $20M contract for V-22 single floor spares
- Hong Kong Government Flying Service receive first H175s
- PHI Announces Offering of Senior Secured Notes Due 2023
- HeliOffshore Consults Flight Instructors and Examiners
- Prabhu added two new Robinson R66 to its fleet; chopper arrives Birgunj Custom
- Fishtail Air gets new official name ‘Summit Helicopters’
- PHI Announces Cash Tender Offer and Consent Solicitation
- NBAA Requests Guidance on Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- HeliOffshore – HUMS Best Practice Guidelines
- Bristol Sycamore Flies Home After 60 Years