Back in May, MD Helicopters reported the sale of a new MD520N helicopter, which our research suggests will be only the fifth of this model they have built since the start of 2010. That’s not what you would readily call a commercial success, but kudos to MD for retaining all the facilities to be able to build a new aircraft.
The purchaser is the Prince George’s County Police Department, based in the city of College Park, Maryland. The helicopter will be delivered in early 2018, and will be fitted with a Trakka A800 search light and a Star Safire 380HDc HD imaging system from FLIR Systems. It will also be the first law enforcement aircraft with the 450hp Rolls-Royce 250-C20R/2 MD520N with the new Block 1 all-glass cockpit. The cockpit features a Howell Instruments Engine Instruments Display, Garmin G500H EFIS and Garmin GTN 650 NAV/COM/GPS, as well as the Garmin GTN 635 COM/GPS.
Aviation Section Commander Anthony Cline recently noted in a Facebook post that the unit’s two existing MD520Ns each have around 7500 airframe hours, and the unit flies approx 1100 hours per annum.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Eagle Australasia appointed Garmin Authorised Dealer
- CopterSafety upgrades AW139 simulator with Phase 7 avionics
- Australian Army extends contract with Rockwell Collins
- First Female Pilot for Colombian Army
- CHC announce keynote speaker for Safety & Quality Summit
- Bell and Safran Announce Shared Vision for On-Demand Mobility
- Mi-171A2 is Planned to be Certified in India
- Rampart Helicopter Services aims to correct Colorado zoning violation
- Helipad Ceremony for Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Foundation
- Oceania Aviation appointed distributor for H125 maximum view kit
- Air Ambulance Chief Executive receives top honour
- WomenVenture Begins its Second Decade
- HAI expresses concerns about Ligado proposal
- South Carolina NG to help secure Mexican border
- Donaldson to develop AW169 IBF for Leonardo
- ASESA Selects Able as Exclusive Provider
- Meron Awarded Patent for Helicopter Transmission Test Rigs
- Macro Industries awarded $20M contract for V-22 single floor spares
- Hong Kong Government Flying Service receive first H175s
- PHI Announces Offering of Senior Secured Notes Due 2023