Leonardo announced today that the Government of Queensland in Australia has placed an order for two additional AgustaWestland AW139 intermediate twin engine helicopters. The aircrafts are expected to enter into service by December 2018 performing emergency medical services and search and rescue missions over land and sea. The AW139s will replace two older helicopter models as part of a fleet modernization programme and reduce maintenance costs.
With world leading capability, performance, ride quality and cabin space, the AW139 has been chosen for its ability to meet the Queensland Government’s operational requirements. These helicopters will add to three AW139s already in service with the Queensland Government, further strengthening the State’s air rescue capabilities and leveraging efficiencies in support, maintenance and training. The new aircraft will be operated by Queensland Government Air (QGAir), a division of the Queensland Government’s Public Safety Business Agency and will be based in Townsville. The aircraft will also serve across all of North Queensland and will be subject to fleet rotation between North and South when needed, in order to ensure the optimum coverage for the State’s community.
This latest order further reinforces the presence of Leonardo in the Australian market with more than 120 helicopters of various models ordered to date for both commercial, public utility and military roles. In the last few years the AW139 has proven to be the most successful EMS helicopter in Australia with 30 already in service with various customers.
- MD Helicopters creates MDHI Flight Training Academy
- GVH awarded EASA STC for H135 Aeromedical System
- FAA approves all-glass cockpit for MD530F
- CNC Technologies selected to Deploy Airborne Mission Suites for Agency’s New Airbus H125
- Boeing Receives Contract for Four Special Operations Chinooks
- Bristow opens new SAR base at Lydd
- MD takes Hamilton County Sheriff MD530F to APSCON
- GVH selected to design hoist light for Boeing
- Metro delivers H125 to Broward County
- Safran Appoints Executive Vice-President of Engineering
- Boeing awarded $18M contract for MH-47G Block 11 Part Procurement
- Russian Helicopters transfers repaired Mi-17s to Laos
- Leonardo delivers AW119Kx to NYC Department of Environmental Protection Police
- EASA – A vision for the future of GA
- Prabhu new two Robinson R66 successfully commences its Proving flight
- Boeing awarded $131M contract for the procurement of 4 MH-47G Block II Helicopters
- Mexican president-elect vows to scrap MH-60R order
- First US HEMS Operation to Eliminate Paperwork with Flightdocs
- Meeker-Airfilm receives EASA STC for AFSP-V2
- Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point holds change of command