In 1977 Safran Helicopter Engines opened its first office in Rio de Janeiro. Aligned to the Arriel program, Turbomeca Do Brasil was established to coordinate support of the Arriel-powered Ecureuils built by Helibras for the Brazilian navy.
However further opportunities soon opened up and, in 1983, a Customer Support Center was built at Jacarepaguá Airport, to support the growing Ecureuil fleet operated by military and civil customers. In 1990, with the acquisition of Super Puma and Panther models by Brazil’s armed forces, Turbomeca support capacity was extended to these new aircraft.
In 2002, a further commitment was made with the establishment in Xerém of a repair shop for Arriel and Makila variants. Today, the Xerém shop is EASA and FAA certified and provides services for operators around the world. Since 2002 more than 3,000 Makila and Arriel have been repaired there.
Finally, in 2011, with the acquisition of the H225M by Brazilian armed forces, an industrial partnership was established to locally assemble Makila 2 engines and Saphir 20 APU. The new facility was inaugurated in 2012.
Today, Safran Helicopter Engines Brasil is one of the French manufacturer’s largest overseas bases, employing 174 people. The team supports over 450 operators throughout South America, operating between them more than 1,500 engines.
The 40th anniversary was celebrated on 8 November 2017, in the presence of Safran Helicopter Engines President Bruno Even, and Safran Helicopter Engines Brasil CEO, François Haas. M. Even was proud to relate both the success of the business, and the strong partnership formed with the Brazilian Government and local communities.
“Congratulação” to all Safran Helicopter Engines teams in Brazil for this 40-year anniversary!
- Sikorsky presents $28,000 to Patient AirLift Services
- HeliOffshore Southeast Asia group meets in Bangkok to review safety work
- HAI announces W.A. “Dub” Blessing Flight Instructor of the Year Award winner
- Airbus fly image processing system on H225 testbed
- Sikorsky Delivers Black Hawks to the LA County Fire Department
- HAI announces Airbus Golden Hour Award winner
- Airbus open new Le Bourget facility, including rotor blade production line
- Boeing to Modernize Six Netherlands CH-47F Chinooks
- HeliOffshore looks back on 2017’s enhancements of offshore safety
- Bell delivers 20th EMS configured B429
- Airbus Helicopters CEO to move to Commercial Aircraft division
- Arizona National Guard may lose last four Apaches
- Philippine Air Force to Acquire 24 Attack Helicopters
- Wiking Helikopter welcomes second H145 to Jade Weser Airport
- Rostec Signs an Agreement to Promote Helicopters in South-East Asia
- Aurora Demonstrates Fully Autonomous Helicopter
- Airbus promotes carbon content in colour scheme of third H160 prototype
- Falcon Aviation earns IS-BAH Accreditation
- Northland Rescue Helicopter and Fire and Emergency New Zealand Team Up
- South Korea conducts AH-64 missile drills