50 helicopter tactics specialists from twelve EDA participating Member States, as well as representatives of the Helicopter Tactics Instructors Course (HTIC), the Joint Air Power Competence Centre (JAPCC), the Multinational Aviation Training Centre (MATC) and the Netherlands Aerospace Centre (NLR) met recently in Rijen, the Netherlands, for the 8th Helicopter Tactics Symposium, organised under the EDA’s Helicopter Exercise Programme (HEP).
This annual event proved once more to be a unique occasion for European helicopter crews to discuss and share expertise and best practices related to helicopter tactics and to learn about new training opportunities under the HEP programme.
A central part of the symposium was devoted to drawing the tactical lessons from recent EDA helicopter exercises, such as ‘Black Blade 16’ (held at Florennes Air Base, Belgium, in November 2016) and ‘Fire Blade 17’ at Papa Airbase in Hungary (May 2017). Other lessons learnt sessions covered examples of counter surface-to-air fire tactics, urban operations, a recent Slovenian MEDEVAC operation, a Czech helicopter door gunner pre-deployment training and the introduction of special operation forces’ helicopters in Germany.
Symposium attendees also received a detailed presentation on the Dutch helicopter aviation training system and discussed various topics related to helicopter techniques, tactics and procedures, including combined tactical operations in which transport helicopters are escorted by attack helicopters during missions abroad. The debate resulted in new concrete proposals for updating the HEP Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), the capstone tactics manual for multinational helicopter operations.
Looking ahead, symposium participants were briefed on upcoming HEP exercises, including Hot Blade 2018 (to be held in Portugal) which will focus on helicopter Composite Air Operations (COMAO) missions in hot, high-altitude and dusty conditions with trooping, live firing and MEDEVAC flights. In 2019, the annual HEP exercise will take place in the Czech Republic under the label ‘Dark Blade’.
- Heli-One to Install Search and Rescue Cabin Configuration for H225s
- Waypoint Leasing Increases Customer Count
- DynCorp Awarded $152M Contract for TH-57 Support Services
- HeliGroup launches world-first Airbus ACH135 Helionix for charter operations
- Rotortrade paves the way for greater value in the pre-owned helicopter market
- StandardAero renews Air Methods AS350 and EC130 Components contract
- EASA starts process for certification of small VTOL aircraft
- Deadline Approaches for 2019 WAI Scholarships
- Heli-One Announces AW169 EMS Modification Case Study
- Bell attended the VR/AR Global Summit in Vancouver
- Helibras delivers the 33º H225M to Brazilian Army
- Helicentre purchases two simulators
- Airbus Turns to RepRap x400 3D Printer
- Heli-One Develops End-User Oriented Solutions
- Coptersafety to provide EASA Maintenance Check Flight simulator course
- HCare services at Helitech 2018
- Lider receives two new H135s
- Airbus details NBAA display
- Airbus delivers new H125 to Newfoundland
- Kopter SH09 displayed in new customer livery at Helitech 2018