Schiebel’s CAMCOPTER® S-100 UAS (Unmanned Air System) proved its suitability for search and rescue missions as part of an ongoing homicide investigation in Stiwoll, Austria, in late 2017.
In the first operation of its kind, Schiebel provided Austrian law enforcement with a CAMCOPTER® S-100 and operating personnel to assist in the search for a double homicide suspect assumed to be hiding in a forest region. Compared to manned helicopters, the S-100 offers a more cost- and mission-effective solution for conducting such exploration tasks. Its endurance of up to six hours within a 200-km radius provides the S-100 with enhanced operational capability that enables substantially extended search flight missions. This unique unmanned system permits operatives to systematically cover larger areas and gather crucial intelligence in the form of real-time day and night electro-optical / infrared video footage in less time.
The ability to collect and analyze imagery simultaneously in a controlled environment on the ground presents another mission-critical advantage. Such a setting is far more conducive for effective analysis and target pick-up than on board a helicopter and considerably improves the probability of successful detection. The S-100’s small logistical footprint as well as its rapid deployment and ease of operation further add to the suitability of the UAS for search and rescue missions.
“This is a prime example for the potential civil use of a UAS such as the S-100,” said Hans Georg Schiebel, Chairman of the Schiebel Group. “Of course we gave our full support to the special investigative team in its efforts to conduct a rapid and efficient search of wide rural areas and bring this case to a successful conclusion.”
- Precision Flight Controls releases simulator for B206 and B407GXP
- New European Plan for Aviation Safety
- WINDEAcare to provide offshore EMS support during wind farm construction
- 3rd MAW Super Cobra takes final flight
- Korea Aerospace selects GVH Wet Deck for Korean Coast Guard
- Alpine first to market certified Bear Paws for B505
- Worldwide Helicopter Safety Teams Will Release Accident Data at Heli-Expo 2018
- Evonik to exhibit at Heli-Expo 2018
- JETNET to Feature New Reporting Tools at Heli-Expo 2018
- Rogue Aviation Opens Flight School Focused on Flight Safety
- HAL seeks partner for Dhruv program Image pick a good one after searching ‘dhruv’
- Kopter Group appoints VP of Business Development for US market
- RAMM receives FAA approval for R44 Cabin Floor Trays
- HFI Silent Auction Opens Today
- Production of T408 engine begins for CH-53K
- London Air Ambulance appoints new director
- Liebherr contracting for Airbus H160 heating valves
- Robinson to launch R66 hook at Heli-Expo
- Airbus Helicopters name new CEO
- Smartphone app released for Heli-Expo 2018