Leonardo announced today the delivery of two AW119Kx single engine helicopters to Akagera Aviation of Rwanda. The aircraft feature a customized convertible configuration for passenger transport or emergency medical service (EMS) depending on mission requirements. The two AW119Kx add to an AW109 GrandNew and an AW139 already operated by Akagera Aviation for transport and EMS duties in the country since 2010. Rwanda became the first Central African country to introduce into service a dedicated, state-of-the-art EMS helicopter with the delivery of the AW109 GrandNew.
The four aircraft are perfectly suited to operate in the hot and high conditions of Rwanda and will provide a significant increase to airborne services nationwide supporting local communities. The AW119Kx helicopters just delivered will also support the growing demand for tourism in Rwanda, allowing an increasing number of visitors to easily access the amazing natural attractions.
The AW119Kx is a best in class single engine helicopter featuring a state-of-the-art avionics system for enhanced situational awareness, mission effectiveness and safety. The AW119Kx has a large cabin able to accommodate up to six passengers and redundancy of all critical systems that are typically available on twin engine aircraft, ensuring outstanding safety. Nearly 300 AW119 helicopters have been ordered to date by over 120 customers in almost 40 countries. The new AW119Kx is perfectly suited to perform many roles including EMS, utility, fire-fighting, law enforcement, VIP/Corporate transport, pilot training and public service duties.
Leonardo has experienced significant growth in Africa in recent years with approximately 500 helicopters of various types sold. Significant markets for its aircraft in the Sub-Saharan African region in the last 10 years include Equatorial Guinea, Congo Brazzaville, Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya. Applications cover passenger transport, EMS, surveillance, law enforcement and other public utility missions.
Established in 2004 and headquartered at the Kigali International Airport, Akagera Aviation is a leading aviation company in Rwanda providing high quality helicopter services including helicopter operations, maintenance and training. Akagera Aviation is also the first tourist operator in the country.
- Rolls-Royce awarded $31M contract for procurement of 14 AE1107C engines for V-22 Ospreys
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance break-in new helipad
- AHS International Announces 2018 Individual Award Recipients
- New Research on the Global Military Helicopter MRO Market
- New ultralight Micron helicopter to be on display at HeliRussia 2018
- Aspen Avionics and Sensurion Aerospace Team Up
- Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics Director Joins AEA Board
- Bell awarded $10M contract for Procurement of 3 B407 Airframes
- Sacramento PD Becomes First Law Enforcement Agency to Operate Bell 505
- US Air Force delivers new Black Hawks to 12th CAB
- CAE wins contract to provide Qatar Emiri Air Force with comprehensive NH90 training solution
- HMLA-367 bids farewell to AH-1W Super Cobra helicopters
- Canadian AvGas supply problem partly resolved
- First show of the new Russian light helicopter to take place at HeliRussia 2018
- Milestone Aviation provides four new H135 helicopters to ADAC
- Oceania Aviation receives award from MD Helicopters
- New mission systems extend the capabilities for the German Federal Police Air Support
- Honeywell provides support to AW139 Leonardo fleets
- Trakka announces SWE-400 Quad Orders
- 4 Key Helicopter Technologies That Will Save Lives