Leonardo announced today the delivery of two AW119Kx single engine helicopters to Akagera Aviation of Rwanda. The aircraft feature a customized convertible configuration for passenger transport or emergency medical service (EMS) depending on mission requirements. The two AW119Kx add to an AW109 GrandNew and an AW139 already operated by Akagera Aviation for transport and EMS duties in the country since 2010. Rwanda became the first Central African country to introduce into service a dedicated, state-of-the-art EMS helicopter with the delivery of the AW109 GrandNew.
The four aircraft are perfectly suited to operate in the hot and high conditions of Rwanda and will provide a significant increase to airborne services nationwide supporting local communities. The AW119Kx helicopters just delivered will also support the growing demand for tourism in Rwanda, allowing an increasing number of visitors to easily access the amazing natural attractions.
The AW119Kx is a best in class single engine helicopter featuring a state-of-the-art avionics system for enhanced situational awareness, mission effectiveness and safety. The AW119Kx has a large cabin able to accommodate up to six passengers and redundancy of all critical systems that are typically available on twin engine aircraft, ensuring outstanding safety. Nearly 300 AW119 helicopters have been ordered to date by over 120 customers in almost 40 countries. The new AW119Kx is perfectly suited to perform many roles including EMS, utility, fire-fighting, law enforcement, VIP/Corporate transport, pilot training and public service duties.
Leonardo has experienced significant growth in Africa in recent years with approximately 500 helicopters of various types sold. Significant markets for its aircraft in the Sub-Saharan African region in the last 10 years include Equatorial Guinea, Congo Brazzaville, Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya. Applications cover passenger transport, EMS, surveillance, law enforcement and other public utility missions.
Established in 2004 and headquartered at the Kigali International Airport, Akagera Aviation is a leading aviation company in Rwanda providing high quality helicopter services including helicopter operations, maintenance and training. Akagera Aviation is also the first tourist operator in the country.
- Leonardo delivers AW119Kx to NYC Department of Environmental Protection Police
- EASA – A vision for the future of GA
- Prabhu new two Robinson R66 successfully commences its Proving flight
- Boeing awarded $131M contract for the procurement of 4 MH-47G Block II Helicopters
- Mexican president-elect vows to scrap MH-60R order
- First US HEMS Operation to Eliminate Paperwork with Flightdocs
- Meeker-Airfilm receives EASA STC for AFSP-V2
- Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point holds change of command
- Leonardo and PGZ to collaborate on new AW249 combat helicopter
- AeroTex UK leverages VABS for simulation of composite rotor blades
- Bell to feature Nassau County Police 429 at APSCON
- Nepal Army procures one AW139 and two H125s
- Nepal Army Constructs Helipad at Nepal-China border (Hilsa)
- NHV win Siemens Gamesa wind farm contract with H175 at Aberdeen
- Bell Training Academy opens Floyd Carlson Airfield
- Airbus delivers law enforcement H125s in North America faster than one per month
- EASA issues STC for AS350/AS355 automatically deployable ELT built by SPAES
- MQ-8C Fire Scout completes operational test and evaluation
- IMT Vislink Launches New TSM-2020 Transport Management System
- Kopter announces North American subsidiary