HeliOffshore’s highly collaborative approach to enhancing the safety of offshore helicopter operations received a significant boost with a total of $60,000 raised at Milestone Aviation’s annual poker tournament. The event, held on 26th February in Las Vegas, was the fifth no-stakes poker tournament hosted by Milestone at HAI’s annual show HeliExpo.
Milestone is a global leader in helicopter leasing and is a member of HeliOffshore along with its sister company GE Aviation. For the second year in a row as part of its poker tournament, Milestone funded a $50,000 sponsorship for select HeliOffshore safety initiatives. Each of the top five poker finalists were given the opportunity to select the safety programme of their choice for Milestone’s sponsorship funds. This year’s finalists and safety programme funding were as follows:
1st) Anuar Noordin, business development director of Weststar Aviation Services ($20,000 for Enhanced Flight Data Monitoring).
2nd) Karl Fessenden, CEO of CHC Helicopter ($10,000 for Terrain and Obstacle Avoidance)
3rd) David Laskowski, facilities and special projects officer with Bristow Group ($8,000 for Delivery of Safety Data Insights)
4th) Jonathan Baliff, CEO of Bristow Group ($7,000 for Approach Path Management)
5th) Rob Pendle, chief technical officer and director of maintenance of Bristow Group ($5,000 for Human Factors in Maintenance).
In addition to Milestone’s sponsorship, poker tournament participants contributed an additional $10,000 to take the event’s total funding for HeliOffshore’s work to $60,000.
“Milestone’s sponsorship of HeliOffshore is so encouraging to us in our work and will make a significant difference in the degree to which we can deliver on key safety programmes and achieve full implementation,” said HeliOffshore CEO Gretchen Haskins. “The spirit shown by participants in this very enjoyable evening reflected the high degree of collaboration that is critical to the success of HeliOffshore’s work, and it was good to see leaders in our industry choosing to support work that is close to their hearts.”
Milestone’s 2017 poker tournament in Dallas resulted in significant progress in several key areas of HeliOffshore’s work, including the following:
- • Human Factors in Maintenance – World leading experts in this area have produced the new Human Hazard Analysis method for addressing human factors maintenance issues as part of the design process. Work is in progress to implement this with two leading OEMs and operators. Also, helicopter operators have shared data on the areas where better support for maintainers could enhance safety.
- • Eye-Tracking Research – Phase two of HeliOffshore’s eye tracking research is developing the baseline data gained during phase one of the programme. Phase two is planned to monitor pilots during ‘non-normal’ drills or emergency situations. This will give us further evidence and data to enhance training, standard operating procedures and ergonomic design. The Operational Effectiveness workstream, along with consultants Jarvis Bagshaw, will compare output from an anonymous survey of pilots with eye-tracking data collected in a simulator during trials conducted in June.
- • Terrain Avoidance Warning Systems – A letter of support from the International Oil and Gas Producers has been signed, a new specification has been produced by the UK CAA, and phase two work on presentation of alerts is underway.
- • Flight Path Management – HeliOffshore members have collaborated to produce an approach path management guide, sharing best practice for this important phase of flight.
- Bell 505 Cargo Hook Receives FAA Certification
- Magellan Jet launches 10-hour S76 card with AAG
- Kopter receives Aerosuisse Award
- Life Flight Network Launches New App for Hospitals and Emergency Responders
- Bell and Dart deliver first 505 floats to Japan Coast Guard
- VIH Aerospace Renews its CSF With Bell Helicopters
- Leonardo Congratulates Royal Canadian Air Force
- Garmin® introduces the G3000H integrated flight deck
- HeliRussia 2018 Update
- Collier County FL to buy new helicopter
- Norwegian operator Heli-Team celebrates 30 years
- New EMS Helipad being built at Columbus TX
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance starts work on new base
- BRS Aerospace Addressing Urban eVTOL Parachute Recovery Systems
- IMT Vislink and K2 Unmanned Systems launch law enforcement drone
- Med-Trans Opens New AeroCare Base
- LA Tour Company Announces New Tour Packages For Summer
- Sikorsky and Canada’s DND Receive AHS International Award
- AACUS Makes First Operational Cargo Delivery to US Marines
- Life Link III Opens New 24/7 Air Medical Helicopter Base in Wisconsin