HeliOffshore’s highly collaborative approach to enhancing the safety of offshore helicopter operations received a significant boost with a total of $60,000 raised at Milestone Aviation’s annual poker tournament. The event, held on 26th February in Las Vegas, was the fifth no-stakes poker tournament hosted by Milestone at HAI’s annual show HeliExpo.
Milestone is a global leader in helicopter leasing and is a member of HeliOffshore along with its sister company GE Aviation. For the second year in a row as part of its poker tournament, Milestone funded a $50,000 sponsorship for select HeliOffshore safety initiatives. Each of the top five poker finalists were given the opportunity to select the safety programme of their choice for Milestone’s sponsorship funds. This year’s finalists and safety programme funding were as follows:
1st) Anuar Noordin, business development director of Weststar Aviation Services ($20,000 for Enhanced Flight Data Monitoring).
2nd) Karl Fessenden, CEO of CHC Helicopter ($10,000 for Terrain and Obstacle Avoidance)
3rd) David Laskowski, facilities and special projects officer with Bristow Group ($8,000 for Delivery of Safety Data Insights)
4th) Jonathan Baliff, CEO of Bristow Group ($7,000 for Approach Path Management)
5th) Rob Pendle, chief technical officer and director of maintenance of Bristow Group ($5,000 for Human Factors in Maintenance).
In addition to Milestone’s sponsorship, poker tournament participants contributed an additional $10,000 to take the event’s total funding for HeliOffshore’s work to $60,000.
“Milestone’s sponsorship of HeliOffshore is so encouraging to us in our work and will make a significant difference in the degree to which we can deliver on key safety programmes and achieve full implementation,” said HeliOffshore CEO Gretchen Haskins. “The spirit shown by participants in this very enjoyable evening reflected the high degree of collaboration that is critical to the success of HeliOffshore’s work, and it was good to see leaders in our industry choosing to support work that is close to their hearts.”
Milestone’s 2017 poker tournament in Dallas resulted in significant progress in several key areas of HeliOffshore’s work, including the following:
- • Human Factors in Maintenance – World leading experts in this area have produced the new Human Hazard Analysis method for addressing human factors maintenance issues as part of the design process. Work is in progress to implement this with two leading OEMs and operators. Also, helicopter operators have shared data on the areas where better support for maintainers could enhance safety.
- • Eye-Tracking Research – Phase two of HeliOffshore’s eye tracking research is developing the baseline data gained during phase one of the programme. Phase two is planned to monitor pilots during ‘non-normal’ drills or emergency situations. This will give us further evidence and data to enhance training, standard operating procedures and ergonomic design. The Operational Effectiveness workstream, along with consultants Jarvis Bagshaw, will compare output from an anonymous survey of pilots with eye-tracking data collected in a simulator during trials conducted in June.
- • Terrain Avoidance Warning Systems – A letter of support from the International Oil and Gas Producers has been signed, a new specification has been produced by the UK CAA, and phase two work on presentation of alerts is underway.
- • Flight Path Management – HeliOffshore members have collaborated to produce an approach path management guide, sharing best practice for this important phase of flight.
- Rolls-Royce awarded $31M contract for procurement of 14 AE1107C engines for V-22 Ospreys
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance break-in new helipad
- AHS International Announces 2018 Individual Award Recipients
- New Research on the Global Military Helicopter MRO Market
- New ultralight Micron helicopter to be on display at HeliRussia 2018
- Aspen Avionics and Sensurion Aerospace Team Up
- Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics Director Joins AEA Board
- Bell awarded $10M contract for Procurement of 3 B407 Airframes
- Sacramento PD Becomes First Law Enforcement Agency to Operate Bell 505
- US Air Force delivers new Black Hawks to 12th CAB
- CAE wins contract to provide Qatar Emiri Air Force with comprehensive NH90 training solution
- HMLA-367 bids farewell to AH-1W Super Cobra helicopters
- Canadian AvGas supply problem partly resolved
- First show of the new Russian light helicopter to take place at HeliRussia 2018
- Milestone Aviation provides four new H135 helicopters to ADAC
- Oceania Aviation receives award from MD Helicopters
- New mission systems extend the capabilities for the German Federal Police Air Support
- Honeywell provides support to AW139 Leonardo fleets
- Trakka announces SWE-400 Quad Orders
- 4 Key Helicopter Technologies That Will Save Lives