Helicopter Association International (HAI) has joined a coalition of ten other aviation-related associations in delivering a letter to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regarding the Ligado Networks Proposal.
The Ligado Networks Proposal seeks to establish a cellular network within a satellite frequency band adjacent to the band used by aviation global positioning systems. The aviation groups seek testing to ensure there is no interference with guidance systems on aircraft operating near the towers.
“Specifically, we remain concerned with the initiative by Ligado Networks to establish a terrestrial cellular network within what is a satellite frequency band,” states the letter, dated June 15, 2018. “Interference issues that have the potential to negatively impact the operational aviation environment remain unresolved, and require definitive testing and evaluation before any system deployment.
“We fully recognize the value that robust connectivity systems offer during aviation operations,” the letter continues. “Enhanced communications, real-time data exchange and flight tracking, as examples, can all benefit from such systems. However, we cannot ignore the risk potential that the Ligado Networks proposal presents to aviation operations.”
A complete version of the letter, including the list of signatories from each association, can be read here: http://bit.ly/HAI-Ligado
The other associations which support the testing include Air Line Pilots Association; Airborne Public Safety Association; Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association; Airlines for America; Association of Air Medical Services, Helicopter Safety Advisory Conference; National Agricultural Aviation Association; National Business Aviation Association; National EMS Pilots Association; and the Professional Helicopter Pilots Association.
- Boeing awarded $181M contract for Procurement of 156 CH-47F Chinook Helicopters
- Bell and SUBARU announce their collaboration
- First H160 pre-assembled rear fuselage is plug and play ready
- Safran renews Pattonair contract
- Japan Coast Guard signs HCare Smart for its H225 fleet
- Aeronautical Accessories Focused on Expanding Bell 505 Accessory Offerings
- CAAS, EASA and Airbus collaborate
- Boeing awarded $264M contract for MH-47 Support Services
- Magpas Air Ambulance selects AW169 to replace MD Explorer
- Sloane Helicopters opens up Irish corporate market with AW109 GrandNew sale
- Bell 429 Celebrates over 330 000 hours of operation
- CAE launches CAE 700MR Series flight training device
- NH90 Sea Lion starts Qualification phase
- Airbus hands over Empire Test Pilot School H125 to QinetiQ
- MD Helicopters creates MDHI Flight Training Academy
- GVH awarded EASA STC for H135 Aeromedical System
- FAA approves all-glass cockpit for MD530F
- CNC Technologies selected to Deploy Airborne Mission Suites for Agency’s New Airbus H125
- Boeing Receives Contract for Four Special Operations Chinooks
- Bristow opens new SAR base at Lydd