On 19 August 2018 join in this global celebration of one of the world’s greatest engineering inventions.
World Helicopter Day aims to raise awareness of the contributions that helicopters make to our society and celebrate the diverse range of people that design, fly and support them. The day is held on the 3rd Sunday of August each year. 2018 will be the fourth year of the event.
Throughout the world every day there are people relying on helicopters for rescues, disaster relief, transport, firefighting, medical transfers, powerline maintenance, tourism, agriculture and many more roles.
“If a man is in need of rescue, an airplane can come in and throw flowers on him, and that’s just about all. But a direct lift aircraft could come in and save his life.” – Helicopter pioneer Igor Sikorsky
There are an estimated 56,200 helicopters worldwide and the industry employs more than 500,000 people.
Helicopter organisations and companies can support this international day through hosting their own open days. This a chance for members of the public to get up close and look over the helicopters while meeting the people that operate them.
For rotary wing aviators and support staff, World Helicopter Day is an opportunity for the helicopter fraternity to share in their common passion while preserving and promoting relationships, traditions and shared memories.
The website will maintain a register of worldwide events that local communities can access to see what is happening in their local area. Individual open day organisers are encouraged to submit their event details and company logos to be included via the main website http://worldhelicopterday.com
Open day organisers can download a range of promotional collateral from the website including press releases for local media, tweetables, flyers and online banners.
The hashtag #worldhelicopterday will be used to tie in activity across different social media platforms.
If you have never experienced a flight in a helicopter then World Helicopter Day might just be the perfect time to give this a try.
- Kenya receives nine AS550C3 Fennecs from UAE
- Harris Awarded $94M contract for CV-22 radio components
- General Electric awarded $18M contract for UH-60 pipe exhausts
- Gozo hospital helicopter inquiry finds no fault
- Royal Saudi Naval Forces launches first MH-60R
- Northrop began flight tests for MQ-8C Fire Scout
- CHC Australia Awarded New Helicopter Services Contract
- Metro delivers H135 to Washington Hospital Center
- US Army conducts first operational test of UH60V Black Hawk
- First Flight turns 40
- Helicopter ambulance service soon in Tamil Nadu
- Black Hawk marks 40 years service and prepares for another 50
- CHC 14th Safety & Quality Summit Less than a Month Away
- Leonardo performs TH-119 avionics power
- Strategic Partnership Targets Global Robinson
- PhilJets appoints new CEO to lead expansion
- Mecaer Aviation Group wins STC approval for Bell 505 interior
- Top-level appointments at Coptersafety
- Era Group and Bel Air Aviation enter teaming agreement
- Avalex video equipment picked for WPD EC135 fleet upgrade