On 19 August 2018 join in this global celebration of one of the world’s greatest engineering inventions.
World Helicopter Day aims to raise awareness of the contributions that helicopters make to our society and celebrate the diverse range of people that design, fly and support them. The day is held on the 3rd Sunday of August each year. 2018 will be the fourth year of the event.
Throughout the world every day there are people relying on helicopters for rescues, disaster relief, transport, firefighting, medical transfers, powerline maintenance, tourism, agriculture and many more roles.
“If a man is in need of rescue, an airplane can come in and throw flowers on him, and that’s just about all. But a direct lift aircraft could come in and save his life.” – Helicopter pioneer Igor Sikorsky
There are an estimated 56,200 helicopters worldwide and the industry employs more than 500,000 people.
Helicopter organisations and companies can support this international day through hosting their own open days. This a chance for members of the public to get up close and look over the helicopters while meeting the people that operate them.
For rotary wing aviators and support staff, World Helicopter Day is an opportunity for the helicopter fraternity to share in their common passion while preserving and promoting relationships, traditions and shared memories.
The website will maintain a register of worldwide events that local communities can access to see what is happening in their local area. Individual open day organisers are encouraged to submit their event details and company logos to be included via the main website http://worldhelicopterday.com
Open day organisers can download a range of promotional collateral from the website including press releases for local media, tweetables, flyers and online banners.
The hashtag #worldhelicopterday will be used to tie in activity across different social media platforms.
If you have never experienced a flight in a helicopter then World Helicopter Day might just be the perfect time to give this a try.
- Boeing awarded $181M contract for Procurement of 156 CH-47F Chinook Helicopters
- Bell and SUBARU announce their collaboration
- First H160 pre-assembled rear fuselage is plug and play ready
- Safran renews Pattonair contract
- Japan Coast Guard signs HCare Smart for its H225 fleet
- Aeronautical Accessories Focused on Expanding Bell 505 Accessory Offerings
- CAAS, EASA and Airbus collaborate
- Boeing awarded $264M contract for MH-47 Support Services
- Magpas Air Ambulance selects AW169 to replace MD Explorer
- Sloane Helicopters opens up Irish corporate market with AW109 GrandNew sale
- Bell 429 Celebrates over 330 000 hours of operation
- CAE launches CAE 700MR Series flight training device
- NH90 Sea Lion starts Qualification phase
- Airbus hands over Empire Test Pilot School H125 to QinetiQ
- MD Helicopters creates MDHI Flight Training Academy
- GVH awarded EASA STC for H135 Aeromedical System
- FAA approves all-glass cockpit for MD530F
- CNC Technologies selected to Deploy Airborne Mission Suites for Agency’s New Airbus H125
- Boeing Receives Contract for Four Special Operations Chinooks
- Bristow opens new SAR base at Lydd