On 19 August 2018 join in this global celebration of one of the world’s greatest engineering inventions.
World Helicopter Day aims to raise awareness of the contributions that helicopters make to our society and celebrate the diverse range of people that design, fly and support them. The day is held on the 3rd Sunday of August each year. 2018 will be the fourth year of the event.
Throughout the world every day there are people relying on helicopters for rescues, disaster relief, transport, firefighting, medical transfers, powerline maintenance, tourism, agriculture and many more roles.
“If a man is in need of rescue, an airplane can come in and throw flowers on him, and that’s just about all. But a direct lift aircraft could come in and save his life.” – Helicopter pioneer Igor Sikorsky
There are an estimated 56,200 helicopters worldwide and the industry employs more than 500,000 people.
Helicopter organisations and companies can support this international day through hosting their own open days. This a chance for members of the public to get up close and look over the helicopters while meeting the people that operate them.
For rotary wing aviators and support staff, World Helicopter Day is an opportunity for the helicopter fraternity to share in their common passion while preserving and promoting relationships, traditions and shared memories.
The website will maintain a register of worldwide events that local communities can access to see what is happening in their local area. Individual open day organisers are encouraged to submit their event details and company logos to be included via the main website http://worldhelicopterday.com
Open day organisers can download a range of promotional collateral from the website including press releases for local media, tweetables, flyers and online banners.
The hashtag #worldhelicopterday will be used to tie in activity across different social media platforms.
If you have never experienced a flight in a helicopter then World Helicopter Day might just be the perfect time to give this a try.
- Annapurna Helicopter received approval from CAAN, Mustang to receive NOC in a few days
- Parker-Hannifin Awarded $39M Contract for HH-60 Spare Stock Number Items
- Ansat and Mi-171A2 helicopters begin a demonstration tour
- First Zulus arrive at MCAS Cherry Point
- Russian Helicopters are ready to supply six Mi-171A2
- Russian Helicopters to open service centers in China
- Two Awards of Excellence won by Wiltshire Air Ambulance
- Air Ambulance Awards of Excellence – winners announced
- Aspirus MedEvac Achieves NAAMTA Accreditation
- Safran Helicopter Engines appoints Senior Executive VP
- Italy Saves €450M from Defence Contract
- Changes for SB-1 Defiant Test Flight
- Asbestos forces Canadian SAR EH101s to move out of Gander
- Lockheed Awarded $382M Contract for Production and Delivery for 8 MH-60R
- NEXA Advisors and VFS to Produce Landmark Urban Air Mobility Study
- PAC delivers 3 Upgraded EC135s
- Trials to launch and land Chinooks on RFA Tidesurge
- Thales to set up Chinese training centre with Avicopter
- SGT Wins Contracts to Support US Army Black Hawk
- CHC Continues 50 Years of Service with Point Resources AS