Babcock Aviation has selected a full suite of new-generation digital video equipment, including Avalex AVM4178Q 17-inch HD widescreen displays, Avalex AVC1816 Smart Video Management System and the Avalex AVR8414 HD DVR, as part of the fleet upgrade program for a fleet of five Airbus H135 helicopters operated by Western Power Distribution (WPD). This enables WPD to more efficiently monitor and manage their network of power distribution lines across the Midlands, South West England and Wales.
“We are very pleased and honored to have our equipment selected as part of this critical helicopter upgrade program,” said Tony Hatten, Vice President of Business Development for Avalex Technologies. “The helicopters play a vital role in enabling Western Power Distribution to monitor the nearly 137,000 miles of overhead lines and underground cables that delivers power to over 7.8 million customers.
“Our new-generation video equipment will not only enable their crews to see the condition of the lines with unparalleled clarity and accuracy, it will also provide the flexibility to digitally record the images for further analysis once the aircraft has arrived back at its base,” he said. “And because our equipment is ruggedized for helicopter operations, it will dramatically increase hardware reliability, while reducing system maintenance and downtime.”
The fleet upgrade that is being completed by Babcock Aviation at its base in Staverton, includes two Avalex 17-inch HD monitors, a single Avalex 10-inch HD display, an Avalex multi-channel HD digital video recorder (DVR) and the Avalex Smart Video Management System. Other special missions equipment includes stabilized infrared camera turrets, LIDAR laser surveying devices and ergonomically optimized workstations for the cabin and cockpit crews.
“We have worked very closely with Babcock Aviation to select and supply mission equipment that not only meets WPD’s current operational needs, but has the capabilities to grow and provide expanded services while guaranteeing the upgrade path to protect their investment,” Hatten said.
- Boeing Awarded $376M Contract for MH-139 Acquisition
- US Air Force selects the MH-139 based on Leonardo AW139
- Schiebel CAMCOPTER® S-100 impresses with flight display
- Boeing MH-139 to Replace US Air Force UH-1N Huey Fleet
- Helibras delivers H225M to the Brazilian Army
- Bell Awarded $48M Contract For V-22 PRGB Right Hand Aircraft Assembly Parts
- Bell Awarded $18M Contract for V-22 Platform Hub Assembly
- Bell Awarded $13M Contract for V-22 Platform Hub Assembly
- Bell Awarded $48M Contract For V-22 PRGB Left Hand Aircraft Assembly Parts
- Kranze Technology Solutions awarded $37M Contract for V-22 Support
- Two Wichita EMS operators partner with hospital for pediatric patient transfer
- Airbus focuses on the wind turbine growth market
- ACH Displays New ACH135 Helionix
- Airbus to start large-scale printing of A350 components
- Air Evac Lifeteam celebrates 20 years at Paragould
- Sikorsky Awarded $58M Contract for CH-53K Repair
- Royal Thai Air Force expands fleet
- Bell enters Southern African market
- Sikorsky HH-60W in final assembly
- NHV wins Belgian windfarm contract with H145