The International Helicopter Safety Team (www.IHST.org) is partnering with the FAA Safety Team for the first of several two-hour workshops aimed at discussing the grey areas of safety decisions faced by helicopter pilots during critical moments. The workshop is free and participants can register here: https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=86202&caller=/SPANS/events/EventList.aspx
The session will be a deep dive into one helicopter accident, an analysis of the tragedy of three lost lives, and a recognition that many operational decisions during a flight are not black and white choices.
On Saturday, Dec. 1, at the Arizona State University Polytechnic campus in Mesa, Ariz., Tina Buskirk of the FAA Flight Standards District Office and Jeff Hurd of PHI Air Ambulance will lead an in-depth 90-minute session about a safety-conscious helicopter pilot who died while trying to fly a very noble mission. They will use extensive NTSB accident reports, photos, animation, and pilot background materials as participants weigh the consequences of each operational decision.
The session is sponsored by the IHST as part of an initiative reviewing accidents that happened to good pilots who often were trying to do great deeds with their helicopters. Participants will analyze the decision-making processes that can lead to disaster and determine what they can do to avoid falling into similar traps. What is learned here could save lives.
This free event begins at 9:30 am on Saturday, Dec 1, in the Cooley Ballroom (5999 S. Backus Mall) on the Mesa campus of Arizona State University Polytechnic. There will be speaker and audience discussion and interaction and refreshments will be provided. All pilots and student pilots are welcome to participate.
This will be the first in a series of interactive workshops supported by the IHST and aimed at decision-making issues faced by helicopter pilots before and during their flights. During 2019, more workshops will be planned for locations in the United States, Canada, South America and Europe.
- JETcopter finalizes 7-seat flying car design
- Russian Helicopters presents in Cambodia
- Sikorsky donates to Patient AirLift Services
- Which US Helicopter Industries Have the Best and the Worst Accident Records?
- Edmonton Police contracts for Safran engine program
- IAR and Airbus Sign H215M Definitive Collaborative Agreement
- New Boeing AH-64E Block 2 Compound
- New Russian High-Speed Helicopter
- H145 Warranty engine extension
- Russian Helicopters sign contract for the supply of 20 Ansats to China
- Joint Venture launches H145 simulator in Norway
- Rockwell Collins awarded five-year US Army contract
- HAI names Director of Safety
- Telephonics AN/ZPY-4 will be used on the MQ-8B Fire Scout
- Canadian Coast Guard donates surplus Bo105s for technical training
- Skyhunter acquires 200K acres for helicopter hog hunting
- Annapurna Helicopter received approval from CAAN, Mustang to receive NOC in a few days
- Parker-Hannifin Awarded $39M Contract for HH-60 Spare Stock Number Items
- Ansat and Mi-171A2 helicopters begin a demonstration tour
- First Zulus arrive at MCAS Cherry Point