|What is a Safety Management System (SMS)?|
|SMS is the formal, top-down business approach to managing safety risk, which includes a systemic approach to managing safety, including the necessary organizational structures, accountabilities, policies and procedures. (Order VS 8000.367)|
Welcome to the Aviation Safety Organization’s Safety Management System Website! This website was created as a public resource for those seeking to learn more about SMS within the aviation industry and the FAA. This website will also provide resources to individuals and aviation product/service provider organizations seeking to learn more about implementing a SMS within their organization.
SMS introduces an evolutionary process in system safety and safety management. SMS is a structured process that obligates organizations to manage safety with the same level of priority that other core business processes are managed. This applies to both internal (FAA) and external aviation industry organizations (Operator & Product Service Provider).
This website will evolve; please continue to visit this site periodically for enhancements, updates and the most current information about SMS, Aviation Safety and the interface with FAA.
|SMS Explained||Get quickly up to speed! What is SMS? Where did it come from? How does it work?|
|Reference Library||Information at your fingertips. Access a wide range of guide books, articles, websites, and training materials for you and your staff.|
|SMS Pilot Projects||Have you heard about the FAA Voluntary Implementation Efforts and Pilot Projects? Learn about current (and future) planned activities.|
|FAQs||Get the answers to some frequently asked questions.|
|Specifics by Aviation Industry Type||Information tailored to your specific sector (ex: Air Carriers, Air Taxi, Air Tour, Maintenance under 121, Repair Stations, Non-Certificated Repair Facilities, Flight Schools, Simulator Facilities, Airports, etc.)|
|Contacts||Contact information for FAA offices working with SMS.|
Please send us your feedback! What would you like to see on this website? Please feel free to email your comments to [email protected].
- First flights for new Babcock oil and gas contract
- NHV awarded offshore contract by Shell UK and NAM
- SAFE wins MH-65 maintenance platform contract at UCSG Elizabeth City
- WAI 2021 Scholarship Applications are now open
- Airbus H160 receives EASA approval
- HeliValue$ leads the way with remote helicopter appraisals
- Horizon International Flight Academy Logs More Than 1,000 Flight Hours in its Bell 505 Fleet
- Sikorsky awarded $470M contract for six VH-92 helicopters
- Sikorsky awarded $12M contract modification for CH-53K work
- PAS MRO awarded $9M contract to overhaul UH-60 tip caps
- Rolls-Royce awarded $62M for AE1107C engines for US Navy V-22
- Bell wins $8M contract with Bahrain for AH-1Z flight training device
- Safran to support Dutch Cougar engines
- Consultation under way for Sydney CBD helipad
- US Navy receives first fleet CMV-22B
- Three new helicopters for police in Republika Srpska
- Morocco Orders 24 Boeing AH-64E Apache Helicopters
- Airbus adds 250 helicopters to HCare Smart and Infinite contracts
- Akima Awarded task order for helicopter maintenance at Fairchild AFB
- Gardner Standard Announces the Acquisition of Shadin Avionics