Helicopter Specialties, Inc., located on Southern Wisconsin Regional Airport in Rock County, is poised for expansion in 2010. The companyâ€™s president Jim Freeman credits his companyâ€™s success on its commitment to delivering a quality product that keeps his customers coming back.
Helicopter Specialties performs maintenance and custom work on helicopters, with an emphasis on customizing air medical helicopters. In 2009 the Milwaukee Flight for Life program selected Helicopter Specialties to perform air medical completions on two brand new American Eurocopter EC145 twin engine helicopters. â€œI launched the company ten years ago when the Milwaukee program asked me to transform two older BK117 helicopters into medical helicopters for themâ€, said Jim Freeman, â€œThese aircraft completed in 2009 for Milwaukee Flight for Life really brought everything full circle for me and our company. We were very pleased to be entrusted with their new helicopters, but I strongly believe the success of our company has come from building trust with customers like Flight for Life by continually giving them a quality product, delivered on time.â€
Helicopter Specialties fills a hole in a niche market that was left when Omniflight Helicopter moved their operations in the â€˜90s from Janesville to Texas. Jim Freeman was among the many Omniflight employees that chose to stay in the area instead of transferring to Texas. It took a few years for the new company to come together, but Freeman was able to utilize the talented mechanics and craftsmen that still lived in the area when Helicopter Specialties got its start in the summer of 2000. After the original Milwaukee contract, another helicopter project soon followed and the company quickly outgrew their tiny hangar on the Southern Wisconsin Regional Airport. The company has continued to grow steadily over the years, adding skilled craftsmen and mechanics and also offering entry level opportunities to graduates of Blackhawk Technical Collegeâ€™s Airframe & Powerplant program. In 2009 Helicopter Specialties again outgrew their current hangar and broke ground on a new 28,125 square foot facility, spending $1.6 million to more than double its operation. The new hangar is expected to be ready in 2nd quarter of 2010.
The company currently has 19 employees that perform custom work and maintenance on helicopters that come to Rock County from all over North America. They work on all major helicopters brands including Bell, American Eurocopter, Robinson, Enstrom, Agusta and MD Helicopters. While a large portion of their business is air medical helicopters, they also work on fire & rescue, law enforcement, utility, corporate and private helicopters. Helicopter Specialtiesâ€™ services include custom completions, maintenance, avionics and airframe electrical installations, custom laser wire marking, structural repair, aircraft paint, export/import services, pre-purchase, appraisal and brokerage services.
- Airbus delivers second ACH175 for superyacht operations
- Nepal – Simrik Air orders two Bell 505s
- Leidos and Rusada team up to deliver MRO and Flight Ops software
- Gama Aviation provides update on Scottish Ambulance Service contract
- Devon Air Ambulance reports 2019 statistics
- Trust International appointed K-Max distributor in UAE
- Babcock lowers expectations for Aviation for this financial year
- County of Grande Prairie commits to help renew STARS helicopter fleet
- Bell and Pratt & Whitney Make Signing Up for Maintenance Programs Easier
- Bell Boeing reveal the new CMV-22B Osprey
- Whistleblower alleges misconduct between FAA Honolulu office and helicopter operator
- Heritage Aviation starts first helicopter route under Indian connectivity scheme
- Pawan Hans appoints new chairman and managing director
- FAA approves Garmin GFC600H Helicopter Flight Control System in AS350
- Royal Thai Air Force orders six Airbus H135 military trainers
- HeloAir appoints new Chief Pilot
- Bell teams with Sumitomo Corp and Japan Airlines to explore Air Mobility
- Airbus Helicopters replaces Keycopter platform with AirbusWorld
- Austrian innovation extends Airbus Helicopters product range
- Bristow Announces Contract Extensions with ConocoPhillips