VISTAGY, Inc., a leading provider of industry-specific engineering software and services, today announced that Kaman Helicopters, a division of Kaman Aerospace Corporation (NASDAQ-GS: KAMN) has entered into an agreement to license FiberSIMÂ® composites engineering software. The software will be used to streamline the design-to-manufacturing process for large composite helicopter blades by providing early visibility into producibility challenges and facilitating a smooth hand-off of composite manufacturing data to the shop floor.
Based upon an extensive evaluation, Kaman estimates that FiberSIM will enable the firm to reduce ply development time from 180 to 40 hours, a savings of 78 percent, and average part layup time from 32 to 20 hours, a savings of 38 percent.
Kaman Helicopters, which is an OEM and provider of rotor blades and major subcontract assemblies, components and detail parts, will leverage VISTAGY’s industry-leading composites expertise by employing its professional services organization to help develop and implement best practices for standardizing composites development processes. Kaman Helicopters is using FiberSIM within its Siemens NX computer-aided-design (CAD) system. FiberSIM is completely integrated into major 3D commercial CAD systems to provide powerful functionality specifically for developing products made of advanced composite materials.
Kaman Helicopters selected FiberSIM because defining ply flat patterns for each ply in a composite design was simply taking too much time. By implementing FiberSIM, the firm expects to significantly reduce the hours required for ply development and layup, streamline its manufacturing process, and eventually eliminate the use of Mylar patterns. Kaman Helicopters is using the software to define flat patterns as well as generate data to drives its laser projection system. Two different suppliers of laser projection equipment recommended VISTAGY to Kaman Helicopters.
“Working with composites is extremely time-consuming and tedious,” said Tim Bates, general manager of Kaman Helicopters’ Blade Center of Excellence and Subcontract Product Group. “By adopting FiberSIM, we expect to be able to automate non-value added tasks to achieve significant productivity gains, improve overall part quality and repeatability and increase our throughput. VISTAGY’s role as the leader in composites engineering for aerospace was also a critical factor in our decision to work with them.”
“We’re pleased to be working with one of the leading suppliers to the helicopter industry,” said Steve Peck, VISTAGY’s director of product marketing and strategy for aerostructures. “By implementing FiberSIM and taking advantage of our professional services’ team vast experience in aerospace, we’re confident that Kaman Helicopters will enhance its productivity so it can meet its business goals.”
About Kaman Helicopters
Kaman Helicopters, a division of Kaman Aerospace Corporation, is a member of the Kaman Corporation (NASDAQ-GS: KAMN) group of companies, which conducts business in the aerospace and industrial distribution markets. The group is a subcontractor for complex metallic and composite structures and components for commercial, military and general aviation aircraft; designs and manufactures fuzing devices for the U.S. and allied militaries; and markets and supports its SH-2G and K-MAX helicopters.
About VISTAGY, Inc.
VISTAGY, Inc. is a leading global provider of engineering software and consulting services that optimize product development processes by enhancing the functionality of commercial 3D CAD systems. For almost 20 years, VISTAGY has been a pioneer in providing industry-specific solutions that capture complete virtual product definitions and facilitate automatic reuse and efficient exchange of engineering information across the enterprise and supply chain. VISTAGY solutions help customers deliver robust products on time and on budget by increasing productivity, improving communication throughout the product lifecycle and enabling better-informed decision-making early in the design process. The company’s customers include over 200 of the world’s leading manufacturers in the aerospace, automotive, transportation interiors and wind energy industries. VISTAGY is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA and can be reached at +1.781.250.6800 or by visitingÂ www.vistagy.com.
- Rescue helicopter ‘Juliet’ retires from Northland fleet
- US Navy grant to fund AnalySwift research to improve helicopter service life
- COVID-19 – Helijet offers free flights for healthcare workers
- Bell 360 Invictus chosen for US Army Scout Rotorcraft Competition
- Airbus-funded helicopter booking platform Voom ceases operations
- VFS 2020 Annual Awards announcements
- COVID-19 – Australian Rotortech event postponed to October
- USHST Infrastructure Working Group Completes 6th Annual Helicopter Infrastructure Summit
- FAA certifies Onboard Systems dual hook for Bell 206L and 407
- Utah Rotor Pathway Program Receives $1.1 Million Grant
- COVID-19 – Air BP to supply free fuel to a number of air ambulance services in England and Wales
- COVID-19 – EASA processing new aircraft configurations for medical transport at high priority
- HSM-70 Change-of-Command
- FAA Grants NATA Requested Crewmember Relief
- Airbus Helicopters launches RTEX tool to monitor Service Bulletins
- COVID-19 – Omni adapts four aircraft to transport suspected cases of COVID-19
- FAA advice on expiring air medical certificates was released prematurely and is invalid
- COVID-19 – London Heliport announces temporary closure
- Lockheed Martin’s FARA Enters Prototype Phase
- COVID-19 – 3 British Army AW159 Wildcats have been deployed to support UK with COVID-19