Sandel Avionics has announced the delivery of its first HeliTAWS helicopter terrain safety system to MSP Aero of Minneapolis, MN, for installation in a fleet of Agusta A109 helicopters operated by North Memorial Medical Center (NMMC) of Robbinsdale, MN. Incorporating such features as Sandelâ€™s proprietary TrueAlertâ„¢ nuisance-alert elimination technology, off-airport landing capability, high-resolution 3-D terrain display and Class A HTAWS functions, Sandel HeliTAWS is expected to significantly increase the safety margins of NMMCâ€™s HEMS (helicopter emergency medical services) operations. HeliTAWS is also ideally suited for such other demanding helicopter missions as offshore oil rig operations, tactical military support, search and rescue, and airborne law enforcement. Sandel recently announced it had received TSO approval for HeliTAWS, followed almost immediately by a Part 27 STC.
The 3-ATI HeliTAWS is a ruggedized, self-contained system with a high-resolution display that retrofits by simply removing and replacing an existing Radar Altimeter indicator. Typically, this eliminates panel modification and simplifies installation. In addition, Sandelâ€™s TrueAlertâ„¢ technology increases pilot confidence by eliminating nuisance alerts, a significant problem with existing terrain warning products that limits their usefulness in helicopter operations. With TrueAlert, pilots can safely take off, cruise, hover and land at off-airport locations without triggering nuisance alerts, while still receiving the established benefits of Class-A terrain and obstacle warnings during the entire flight. The system is completely automatic and does not require pilot management of the phase of flight. When required, the ST3400H can also serve as a Primary Traffic display with interface to virtually any TCAS, TAS or TCAD system currently produced.
â€œIn early September, MSP Aero successfully completed the HTAWS test flight on NMMC’s Agusta A109C,â€ said Aaron Sylvester, MSP Aeroâ€™s co-owner. â€œThe crew was impressed with the quality, display graphics and ease of operation, as well as the excellent tech support we received from Sandel,â€ he noted.
Added Mark Taverna, another of MSP Aeroâ€™s co-owners, â€œIn addition to the systemâ€™s outstanding performance, we assisted NMMC in selecting Sandel HeliTAWS because of its ease of installation and use, and also because we were familiar with Sandelâ€™s reliable ST3400 fixed-wing TAWS.â€
The NVIS-compatible HeliTAWS meets DO-160F helicopter vibration standards and has an MTBF of more than 10,000 hours. The retail price is $18,950.
Sandel Avionics, located in Vista, California, is a privately held company that provides compact integrated display systems for business aviation, air transport and regional, and rotary-wing aircraft. Recent successes include the companyâ€™s best-selling, turbine-class ST3400 TAWS and its 4-ATI retrofit primary flight displays, and its new HeliTAWS is the helicopter industryâ€™s first complete helicopter safety solution. Additional information can be found at www.sandel.com.
MSP Aero LLC, located in Minneapolis, Minnesota, is an FAA-Certified Repair Station that specializes in helicopter and business jet avionics. Rotor avionics specialties include 800-MHz (P25 compliant) radios, WAAS-capable GPS upgrades, Sandel HeliTAWS, FDM and STC development. Additional information can be found at www.mspaero.com
- Bell Unveils New Manufacturing Technology Center
- Helicentre Aviation Extends 2020 Scholarships Deadline
- AIRO Group buys Aspen Avionics
- New Weather Layers in Profile in ForeFlight’s Latest Release
- Final five Mi-8MTV-5-1 delivered to Russian military ahead of schedule
- Helicopter Online Ground School launches two new courses
- HAI launches annual Salute to Excellence Awards
- Belgium cuts military helicopter flying in half
- Prestwick SAR base passes 1,500 taskings milestone
- Great Western Air Ambulance encourages use of What3Words
- Iran unveils new laser-guided missiles for helicopter fleet
- Rostec began flight tests of the newest helicopter for special forces Mi-8AMTSh-VN
- EDA sets up Multinational Helicopter Training Centre for Sintra
- Entrol welcomes HELISEVEN to its client list
- 08-Aug-20 N….. Bell 206 Marathon, US-Texas (3F)
- EASA SIB 2020-13 Provision of ground handling services at aerodromes following COVID-19 outbreak
- Lydd SAR base passes 1,000 taskings milestone
- Boeing Receives $265 Million Chinook Helicopter Order
- Churchill Navigation and Shotover Camera Systems Merge
- USAIG expands safety collaboration with Airbus