(HeliHub.com editor note – we have already run this story as reported in Maryland local press – this the confirmation from AgustaWestland via a press release)
AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is pleased to announce today that it has been awarded a contract by the Maryland State Police Aviation Command to provide six AW139 helicopters for their Medevac fleet program. The $71 million contract calls for the first AW139 to be delivered 18 months after contract award. These aircraft will be produced at AgustaWestlandâ€™s Philadelphia, Pennsylvania production facility.
â€œWe are extremely proud to have been selected by the Maryland State Police Aviation Command to provide the AW139 as their fleet replacement aircraft,â€ said Louis Bartolotta, Executive Vice President, North America Sales. â€œThe selection process was an excellent example of the professionalism required to clearly define the technical, operational, and after-sale support aspects to meet the needs of the Maryland State Police. We are honored to be selected for this award and look forward to supporting the State of Maryland and its citizens for many years to come.â€
With this new fleet of AW139â€™s, Maryland State Police Aviation Command will have expanded capability to more fully meet their emergency medical, search and rescue, law enforcement and homeland security missions. The AW139 is a true state of the art, 21st century helicopter successfully performing multi-mission roles throughout North America for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Los Angeles Fire Department and other major aero medical and search and rescue operators. The safety, economy, performance and capabilities of the AW139 make it the worldâ€™s best selling aircraft in its class.
The AW139 continues to set new standards in the medium twin market. In addition to its success in the commercial market, the AW139 has established itself as the aircraft of choice among publicly US funded programs. Law enforcement, medical transport and multi-mission operators alike, have selected the AW139 time and again in competitively bid programs. The AW139 is the fastest helicopter in its class with a maximum cruise speed of 167 knots and the only medium twin-engine helicopter in production that meets the latest FAR 29 certification standards for safety. In service since 2003, almost 490 aircraft have been sold to more than 130 customers worldwide in almost 50 countries. In North America, almost 130 have been sold to nearly 30 customers.
AgustaWestland continues to expand its Philadelphia-based production facility. A leading local employer, the Philadelphia facility is home to the worldwide production of the AW119Ke light single-engine platform, in addition to production of the medium-twin AW139 and final completions of the AW109 Power and GrandNew light-twin platforms.
- AW139 Wet Floor Achieves CAANZ STC
- Summit Aviation Now Serving Leonardo AW139 Owners and Operators
- Leonardo celebrates AW139 20th anniversary
- Babcock wins extension to North Sea SAR contract
- Babcock reaches 20 000 hour milestone with Ambulance Victoria
- AW139 will be Colombia’s new Presidential helicopter
- Wiking takes delivery of latest AW139
- TAI marks composite landmarks, including AW139 production
- Italian Air Force enhances emergency response and homeland security capabilities
- Penzance Helicopters cancels schedules for over three months
- Babock re-launches scheduled services in Spain with AW139
- Spanish operator Helity adds new scheduled route
- THC wins AW139 contract from Red Sea Development Company
- Trinidad & Tobago Air Guard to reactivate one of four AW139s
- MDFR upgrades fleet with delivery of first AW139
- Penzance Helicopters introduces AW139 to Isles of Scilly service
- Global AirParts announces AW139 part out project
- Leonardo AW139 – EASA AD 2020-0191 : Equipment / Furnishings
- Changes coming for heliport at Macau International Airport
- Coptersafety appoints new AW139 Type Lead Instructor