[Electronic translation of Italian language press release]
It ‘began Oct. 4 and will run until 13, the transfer with a C-17 aircraft of the U.S. Air Force three- EH-101 helicopters that the Navy should operate in Afghanistan to support the operations of the NATO-led force, known as ISAF – International Security and Assistance Force.
The mission, which will last twelve months, is in support of the Italian Command of the western sector, to Herat, oriented assistance and reconstruction. The helicopters of the Navy to carry out surveillance, patrols, convoys and support the handling of sensitive personal deterrence, medical evacuation.
The staff and facilities of the Navy in Afghanistan will be a Task Group, called Shark, consisting of three medium helicopters EH-101 with a properly configured system of self protection and night vision, a group of 67 military personnel including crews of skilled and qualified for night flying with viewers, a technical team of specialists qualified to the maintenance of the machinery of a small core staff with tasks in the field of operational support, administrative / logistical and medical team and a rifle with the tasks of the San Marco Regiment protection and security.
The sending of the EH-101 helicopters, scheduled for some time, wanted to give effect to the address by the Minister of Defence to provide the Italian contingent in Afghanistan to increased mobility and security, in order to reduce land transport. It ‘s the first mission in the theater for this type of helicopters, but the Air Force Navy have operated in Afghanistan.
- 06-Nov-19 MM81487 Leonardo AW101 Tyrrhenian Sea, Italy
- 380 mln EUR contract for maritime multirole helicopters with the Polish Ministry of National Defense
- Polish Ministry of National Defence signs Agreement for AW101
- Kongsberg opens new transmission MRO facility for AW101 and NH90
- Leonardo wins Canadian SAR AW101 upgrade contract
- First Leonardo AW101 Commando Merlin delivered to the Commando
- Dallas Airmotive reduces PW206C Engine Overhaul TAT to 35 days
- RoadRunner EFI on display at HAI Heli-Expo
- Leonardo delivers first Norwegian SAR AW101
- Thailand signs AW101 MoU with Leonardo
- AW101 is focus for Leonardo at MSPO 2017 in Poland
- First Royal Navy AW101 Merlin Mk.4 flies
- Norway opens AW101 Training Centre
- Leonardo joins IMP again for Canadian AW101 upgrade program
- Team Cormorant re-established for Canadian AW101 Mid-Life Upgrade
- 21-May-17 Leonardo AW101 Hamr el Ain, Algeria (3F)
- Canadian Defence Minister wants B412 and AW101 upgrades
- Onboard Systems contracted for AW169 and AW101 HEC Secondary Hook Kits
- Indonesian AW101 Investigation
- Indonesian Air Force Looks into AW-101 Helicopter Purchase